• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear driveshaft

nturboy12

NAXJA Forum User
does any body know how much a rear driveshaft shortens per upward travel ,trying to set the bump stops so the driveshaft doesn't push into the transfercase I have 6" lift and 33s.

No problem...don't jump it.

In any normal offroad situation the shaft stay about the same length because one tire goes up, the other goes down, pinion stays in the middle.

Jumping will force both tires up when you land, so the pinion travels up as well. Not a rock solid number, but I have never seen(judging by grease marks) mine travel more than 1 inch...but I don't jump it either.

I would guess 2 inches would be plenty for almost any setup.

BTW, If I remember right...tires go up, axle goes back due to shackles being at the rear, so as the spring flattens, the driveshaft actually gets longer.

I really wouldn't worry about it at all.

Bumpstops to save shocks are a good idea though.

when I was in big bear the snapring in the rear of the transfercase was shredded because the driveshaft jammed into it so now Im adjusting the bump stops and just wondering how it did that ,I didn't do any jumps ,might of been coming of a ledge

If the shaft damaged the Tcase...it is the wrong length.

I would take the shaft out and collapse it all the way to see how much travel you have. Measure in place, then measure collapsed. If you have 2 inches, I don't think that is the problem.

nturboy12 said:
no, did the hack&tap ,I got the re driveshaft the slip has a rubber boot so I cant see the slip looks like 1 1/2 to 2"
you do realise they make multiple length drive shafts (last i looked there were more than 20 differnt lengths with difernt slips etc not to mention the custom options in the catalog just for XJ's)AND your not suposed to order your new one till youve measured at ride hight.........Ive seen 4 guys do that and all 4 tore up thier t-case. no 2 vehicles will ever be exact dont go by what the other guys jeep needed. I hope Im wrong but I bet thats what happened:bunny:

nturboy12 said:
I gave re the measure and they sent me the wrong one sent it back ,sent the 2nd one back ,now I have 3rd and looks good
You say it looks good because it bolted in?

But if it broke something, then it isn't okay.

nturboy12 said:
I gave re the measure and they sent me the wrong one sent it back ,sent the 2nd one back ,now I have 3rd and looks good
Looks good and works good are way differnt. were you carrying more stuff than you had in the jeep when you measured? extra weight on the trail could have made you sit lower thus getting your drive shaft to bottom out on the bumps etc.

I have about 1" compressable space at ride height, and have never had a problem with it.

That said, I wouldnt mind if it were an inch shorter. I'm prolly gonna get a shorter one made and move this one to the front.

Back