• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another HOT tease...

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My rear carpets normally steam. The many submersions and the resultant steam are a constant source of amusment for those who bravely ride in my Jeep. On the trip to Moab, about six hours away from home, I looked back and saw that they were really steaming and asked Sean, my very own personal fire fighter, "So, is there any chance at all that the box of CRAWL magazines on my floorboard could catch fire...?"

Sean replied confidentaly, "No way! Do you know how much conductivity it would take for that to happen? It's impossible with all the air rushing around under there." Whew! I was relieved, as I'd just moments prior lived through the nightmare of my beloved Cherokee melting into the pavement of the mountain pass.

A minute passes. Literally.

"Sean...are you sure?" I asked after smelling a new odor entirely, one similar to that of the burning hair of a soggy buffalo. I would guess.

"Oh, shit! That's not steam, that's smoke!!! Pull over!"

I started to pull over, and keyed the CB to alert the other members of the convoy to our calamity. "Uh, I think I'm on fire," I said. Then, to my relief, Sean proclaimed after pouring two bottles of water over the carpet, "No, never mind, we're okay. It's out." Whew! Thank god I brought a real live fireman with me!

I keyed the mike again to tell my compatriots that we were indeed okay and that we should keep going. As I was doing so, Sean said, "No, we're really on fire, you'd better pull over." Well, damn. The mike was already on, so I just said, "Yep, I'm on fire," and headed for the flattest spot with the least amount of combustable foliage. It was a rough stop.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion and lots of hot photos!

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
My rear carpets normally steam. The many submersions and the resultant steam are a constant source of amusment for those who bravely ride in my Jeep. On the trip to Moab, about six hours away from home, I looked back and saw that they were really steaming and asked Sean, my very own personal fire fighter, "So, is there any chance at all that the box of CRAWL magazines on my floorboard could catch fire...?"

Sean replied confidentaly, "No way! Do you know how much conductivity it would take for that to happen? It's impossible with all the air rushing around under there." Whew! I was relieved, as I'd just moments prior lived through the nightmare of my beloved Cherokee melting into the pavement of the mountain pass.

A minute passes. Literally.

"Sean...are you sure?" I asked after smelling a new odor entirely, one similar to that of the burning hair of a soggy buffalo. I would guess.

"Oh, shit! That's not steam, that's smoke!!! Pull over!"

I started to pull over, and keyed the CB to alert the other members of the convoy to our calamity. "Uh, I think I'm on fire," I said. Then, to my relief, Sean proclaimed after pouring two bottles of water over the carpet, "No, never mind, we're okay. It's out." Whew! Thank god I brought a real live fireman with me!

I keyed the mike again to tell my compatriots that we were indeed okay and that we should keep going. As I was doing so, Sean said, "No, we're really on fire, you'd better pull over." Well, damn. The mike was already on, so I just said, "Yep, I'm on fire," and headed for the flattest spot with the least amount of combustable foliage. It was a rough stop.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion and lots of hot photos!

-----Matt-----

how beat up is yours? I want to figure out why mine didn't melt down til now

I can confirm that many of the CRAWL mags in Matt's rig had the pages stuck together from water damage. That was one of three overheating problems in that area.

Last edited:
I just purchased my heat protection
IMG_0782.jpg

so am I right in assuming that your exhaust is the heat source? Sorry, but it just wasn't mentioned anywhere and I want to clear that part up.

90exjay said:
Uh ok, i think the best ones to use are the air core style.
But that may work.

Sean

rig needed some bling

bcsavage said:
so am I right in assuming that your exhaust is the heat source? Sorry, but it just wasn't mentioned anywhere and I want to clear that part up.
Correct. The muffler was actually touching the underside of the passenger rear floorbaord, and given enough time and heat, burned out the drain plug there and into the cabin.

-----Matt-----

Another reason I love my cherry bomb :D

1. It won't dent
2. It is cheap
3. It doesn't sound lame
4. It doesn't start fires in my jeep
5. It doesn't require custom bake sheets for additional protection

Michael

2xtreme said:
Another reason I love my cherry bomb :D

1. It won't dent
2. It is cheap
3. It doesn't sound lame
4. It doesn't start fires in my jeep
5. It doesn't require custom bake sheets for additional protection

Michael

But it is illegal in National Forests as it doesn't meet the requirements of a spark arrestor. It's a good way to get cited for faulty equipment in the Naches area when the Rangers and Sheriff's deputies are doing spot checks on vehicles.

I ran one for quite a while until I learned that it wasn't kosher and went to an all steel heavy gauge muffler that is welded with no loss of performance.

The muffler cannot be a straight through design....at some point the exhaust gasses must go around some kind of baffle to meet the requirements. In my research I also learned the catalytic converter does not meet the requirement as it generally creates more heat.

Here are the rules: They may keep the forest from burning down but I'm not sure about Matt's rig.

:flame: :firedevil :flame:

e. Spark Arresters and Mufflers
Each internal combustion engine shall be equipped with a spark
arrester meeting either (1) USDA Forest Service Standard 5100-1a,
or (2) appropriate Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
recommended practice J335 (b) and J350 (a) as now or hereafter
amended unless it is:
(1) Equipped with a turbine-driven exhaust supercharger such
as the turbocharger. There shall be no exhaust bypass.
(2) A passenger-carrying vehicle or light truck, or medium truck
up to 40,000 GVW, used on roads and equipped with a
factory-designed muffler complete with baffles and an
exhaust system in good working condition.
(3) A heavy truck, such as a dump or log truck, or other vehicle
used for commercial hauling, used only on roads and
equipped with a factory designed muffler and with a vertical
stack exhaust system extending above the cab.

Exhaust equipment described in this subsection, including spark
arresters and mufflers, shall be properly installed and constantly
maintained in serviceable condition.

Sweet John, good to know. I took my 40 series apart and flipped the ends, so I know there's baffles in there :) If you're wondering why i took it apart, it's cuz I ordered a center inlet, offset outlet, and the ends needed to be switched for me to use it. So instead of selling it, I cut off each end, then rewelded it and it works great. Probably wouldn't have worked well if I had just flipped the whole stock muffler, the baffles were set up for one way flow. Anyway, yeah, that's my muffler story.

Adam

adamusmc2002 said:
Sweet John, good to know. I took my 40 series apart and flipped the ends, so I know there's baffles in there :) If you're wondering why i took it apart, it's cuz I ordered a center inlet, offset outlet, and the ends needed to be switched for me to use it. So instead of selling it, I cut off each end, then rewelded it and it works great. Probably wouldn't have worked well if I had just flipped the whole stock muffler, the baffles were set up for one way flow. Anyway, yeah, that's my muffler story.

Adam

or it might've worked better, I know lots of people that reverse their mufflers. I had reverse blue bottles on my satelite, my buddy has reverse borla's on his mustang.

Back