• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blower motor need a pulley remover?

What year XJ? I've dealt with both 96- and 97+, the 96- should have a clamp holding it on, you need to remove that first. Try prying the two segments apart that have been clamped together. If it's a 97+ support it under the fanwheel somehow and hammer down on the middle of the shaft.

As stated above, there should be a little spring clip. Be very careful. The plastic is brittle, and the shaft rusts. Don't pry very hard (one guess how I know that!). If you can, try getting some WD-40 or the like on it, and then instead of immediately pulling it off, use a socket or something to drive it a little further down on the shaft to break it free. Then try moving it upward a little. If you repeat that process enough times, it will usually eventually slide off without breaking.

When I replaced my blower motor on my 96, I tried all the tricks to get it off the shaft. Ended up breaking the fan. The good news is it costs less than $15 for a new fan.

Good news, I sprayed the heck out of it with wd40, left it over night then put a socket over the shaft gave it a good smack to brake it free and it came off.

thanks for all the help

Back