• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 censor..

white_elephant

NAXJA Forum User
ok to make my long story short.....

i was mudding i got stuck...in deep water....my cherokee die...so i had to get winch out....once i was out i started..it was fine..but wait...it sounded like if someone added to more cilinders..it sounded like a v8...pretty cool...then i looked down..everything from my catalyc and back was gone....weird....we tried looking for it but couldnt find it...so now my xj is running like crap....

where can i get an o2 censor simulator???

that actually works...

edit: i know its sensor..i messed up big time...

O2 simulation and the sort

Ok, so now your system is short (pardon the pun) a catalytic convertor and O2 sensor...

...from a tech standpoint, the feedback your engine's computer recieved from the o2 sensor did more than clean up your emissions... it also optimized fuel input to provide a decent burn under different operating conditions ie: wide open throttle, idle, cruise, cold startup and the like, thereby lowering your fuel consumption as well.

SO... if your vehicle's engine computer doesn't see a signal from the o2 sensor, it may well throw it into open loop, or try to compensate by richening the mixture... sometimes to the point of running like crap.

SO...your best bet would be to repair your exhaust system to, at least, include a exhaust manifold (or header), downpipe with 02 sensor, and exhaust pipe, with or without muffler... of course, if you're operating ON-ROAD.. you'll have to have all the above and a catalytic convertor as well to meet state and local regulations.

but... like I say... it's only from this tech's standpoint. good luck.

'91 XJ, Rusty's 3" front, AAL rear
Skyjacker Hydro's
31 Pro Comp X-terrain
homemade top rack, etc etc Tim in Phoenix

ups i forgot to mention..my xj is not a daily driver anymore...everytime i go wheeling it goes on a trailer...so thats why i dont plan on putting back the catalitck...so yeah...help plz..

my car is running rich as hell...

Last edited:
Ok, so sans a catalytic convertor is ok per offroad, but you should probably have a spark arrestor of sorts to avoid burning down your favorite wheeling spot, unless it's damp year round.

But still your computer needs to see an input from an o2 sensor (or such) to run properly...

I'd try giving JEGS www.Jegs.com performance a call, explaining what you're trying to accomplish, and they may have a way to electronically tailor your air/fuel mixture using a device designed to do so, although by application it may be a little tough to determine.

Good luck.

Back