• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-4" lift recommendations 2001

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I realize that there are about 10 million threads about lifts here and any sane person would imagine that this topic has been visited on more than one occasion, BUT maybe my search for specific brands and current packages will set this question apart, if not feel free to tie this thread to your rear bumper and drag it through the mud...Anyway, I'm looking for brand and package recommendations for a 3-4" (or so) lift. Specifically I'm looking at stuffing some 31"'s under my 01' and upgrading my on road experience (29" MT/R's are going south and stock suspension needs to be replaced anyway). Offroad I'm looking at sand, snow and some light to moderate mud. In the end I hope to get a decent ride (stock or better) onroad, the MT/R's have just become uncomfortably noisy and rough. Otherwise, stock axels, looking at the AEV wheels and I'm also taking recommendations for some new tires as well. Pricing for the lift with new leaf pack (not add a leaf), new coils (not spacers) should not exceed say $600 ish, but I'm in the end looking for quality and reliability.Thanks so much!-Alex

rubicon express

If your total buget with cost of tires is $600 you are not looking for a comfortable ride anymore. For ride I say OME 2-3" but it will run you about $800. It will also cost about that much with the RE full kit, check out their Super-ride kit over the super-flex.

Cheeper and to replace parts, get ZJ V8 coils and a small spacer and build your own rear packs. Check out the write up on Rock Lizard Fabrication site. Very nice write up and should keep a lot of cost down. Well under $600 for 2-3".

$600 ish for lift alone but anything under say $1000 is fair game if its really worth it, sorry I should have been more clear. Thanks!

Go Rubicon Express. Ride quality will improve over stock, offroad capabilities will improve, and the parts will last. The 3.5" Super-Ride kit runs a shade over $600 at $605, without shocks, which will add another $2-300, depending on what you want. I know how much it sucks to be on a budget, but I just can't bring myself to reccomend Rough Country to anybody, regardless of how little they have to spend.

my vote is RE but if you want to go long arm...Full Traction or TNT

Are there any major driveline changes that should be made with a 4.5" that I could get away with not doing on the 3.5" kit. Also, what about recommendations for shocks? Nitro too much?

Another vote for RE.The 3.5" kit will net about 4.5".Be prepared to invest in a SYE kit with any size lift on a 2001!

RCP Phx said:
Be prepared to invest in a SYE kit with any size lift on a 2001!

Eugh, I was affraid someone would say that, RE kit as well for that? Anyone know the sock length of the driveshaft?

Last edited:
More than likely your ride will get worse. At best it'll stay the same with a good kit (RE?) Any time you lift an XJ without changing the control arm mounts (drop brackets/long arms), the steeper angle they'll be at, which causes a harsher ride.

My vote's for the OME 3" HD kit. Had mine on for almost a year and love it. Dirk over at DPG Offroad also gets my vote; knows his stuff inside-out and is extremely helpful to boot.

OK so at this point my shoping list is as follows:
RE XJ 4.5" SUPER-FLEX W/REAR SPRING - $1006.95

Heavy-duty SYE/CV driveshaft combo, NP231 (from http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=593 ) - $513.00

AEV 16x8 Argent Wheel : 5x4.5 : +6mm offset - $179.00 x 5

How about some shocks to go with that?
Also ideas for a reliable offroad tire (31", 32") with a good road ride, I'm willing to sacrifice some off-road ability on these, like I said, light to moderate mud, snow and sand only.

TIA!

That kit is going to net almost 6",are going to load it up with a winch and HD bumpers?

Well I have a Nates 4x4 front bumper which is going to go for a Winch bumper, but no time soon. The money for this jeep has really gone into its electronics (radios, lights, reserve batteries etc.). You think the 4.5" kit will settle to less than 6" or would I be better off with the 3.5" kit, cause I really don't want tires more than 32" max. and was looking at 31"'s

1)What about bumpstopping for the 4.5" on 32/31's?
2)Bushings, do you need them, is stock good, how to tell if its time to replace?
...where does it end, should I be thinking about anything else?
Thanks as always, again...
-Alex

Last edited:
Back