• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At 1/4 tank truck feels lik it is going to run out

U2RA_WINNER

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I am new to this great site, NICE JOB to ALL.:clap:

I just sold my 2003 Discovery II, Ran into some serious health issues and could no longer to dump $$$ into it.

Bought an XJ last week. The previous owner did allot of major work. I lucked out.

One issue is that it feels like its going to run out of gas at 1/4 tank. Is this the pump, a flaot or something else? I appreciate your help. :dunno:

MP

When asking questions, include the year of your rig since different years might have different known issues. I'd say the sender is bad and I'd replace that first. When you fill up after it starts acting strange, how much gas is it taking? Congrats on getting an XJ and enjoy this site. It has a crap load of info. Remember, the "search" feature is your friend.

Sorry I promise I am trainable.

It's a 1994. Everything seems normal until the gauge reads 1/4 tanks, then it gets shady like its going to run out of gas. The longer ypu drive the more it sputters.

The gauge is reading correctly & 1/4 tank is left as it requires 3/4 to fill it.

I will check the sender (Whatever/wherever it is) first.

THX
MP

How many liters are you putting in to fill up from 1/4 tank?

On the newer models (97-01) this is a common problem, but on these, its usually the pickup sock/ filter at the bottom of the fuel pump. They get clogged and need to be replaced. This happened to me and I just bought a new pump/ filter kit for $90 for a walbro and havnt had any issues since. Whatever it is, your definetly going to need to remove tha pump from the tank, which requires lowering the tank, an easy job as long as the tank is low. Once you get it out, im sure the problem will be obvious.

-Jerry

sandmcrew2 said:
On the newer models (97-01) this is a common problem, but on these, its usually the pickup sock/ filter at the bottom of the fuel pump. They get clogged and need to be replaced. This happened to me and I just bought a new pump/ filter kit for $90 for a walbro and havnt had any issues since. Whatever it is, your definetly going to need to remove tha pump from the tank, which requires lowering the tank, an easy job as long as the tank is low. Once you get it out, im sure the problem will be obvious.

-Jerry

Ahhh the joys of a lifted jeep, with a 5.5" lift, there is no need to drop the tank!

It sounds like the pickup though. It could be cloggged or have fallen off. I'm assuming it's especially bad when going around corners?

coupleaxjs said:
Ahhh the joys of a lifted jeep, with a 5.5" lift, there is no need to drop the tank!

ahh yeeeeeah!

a little on topic but off topic at the same time here. I've noticed that when I have quite a bit of gas, I can smell it when I open the rear hatch and I am working back there (usually grabbing tools or something)

is that normal? I'm wondering if I have a leak high up on the tank or something. Really does seem that my full-to-3/4tank doesn't last more than 30 miles.

i have an 86 and it does the same thing especially going around corners,i have had a few calls from my wife cuz she thinks she ran out of gas(dont try and re-start it or any thing)mine has b/n guts in the tank and it still does it. i think it's just the nature of the beast.do what i do,dont go past 1/2 a tank.this condition is really annoying when climbing inclines.good luck

yeah it'd be fine if i wanted to go to the gas station on sunday evening, then again on tuesday morning, and again on thursday evening and again on saturday morning.

I commute a good 80 miles a day, that many trips to the gas station gets damn annoying. I'd rather fix the problem.

Mine had a similar problem. The cause was a bashed in fuel tank, a common problem with wheeled Cherokees. When I pulled out the pump and sender, they were intact. The problem was simply the shape of the bottom of the tank. You might want to check that out before changing out parts.

it happened to me, this is what i did: i took out the fuel pump ( i allready had replaced the filter) and cleaned it with brake fluid and then carb cleaner, it worked ever since. that was 9 months ago

WheelinJR said:
ahh yeeeeeah!

a little on topic but off topic at the same time here. I've noticed that when I have quite a bit of gas, I can smell it when I open the rear hatch and I am working back there (usually grabbing tools or something)

is that normal? I'm wondering if I have a leak high up on the tank or something. Really does seem that my full-to-3/4tank doesn't last more than 30 miles.

It sounds like the filler neck is leaking a little? maybe the return line? Smelling gas every time you open the hatch gets annoying I'm sure. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

My 90 has splutter on right hand turns but closer to empty ever since I replaced the fuel pump. I suspect since it is a NAPA replacement with a different physical configuration, that it just doesn't work quite right.
BTW, I have a stock lift (none) and I didn't drop the tank..

sjx40250 said:
My 90 has splutter on right hand turns but closer to empty ever since I replaced the fuel pump. I suspect since it is a NAPA replacement with a different physical configuration, that it just doesn't work quite right.
BTW, I have a stock lift (none) and I didn't drop the tank..

That's another good note.

Sidenote: man theres alot of Portland area people coming outta the woodwork. Why aren't more of you at the NWC meet and greets

Back