• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ cranking alot

What year is your jeep and what motor is in it? How many miles and are on it and have you recently replaced any things on it (battery, cables, starter... or are they all original) what is "a lot"? 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds? Does it bring itself to start everytime you attempt (and it just takes a while to get started)? Is it maybe only doing this when its cold outside or all the time?
I'd check into the condition of the battery, your battery terminals, your battery cables first. With more input i'm sure we can come up with more suggestions.

Sorry about that, it's a 97 4.0 with 85,000 miles on it. the engine, radiator, water pump and crank positioning sensor was replaced at 60,000 from a jeep dealer. It cranks for about 5-7 seconds and then starts up and runs fine for about 10 seconds and then sort of stutters for 10 seconds, it does this only when it's cold. The battery was replaced about a year and a half ago. Thanks

Chris

I'd check the fuel pressure.

Hale

yuppers, fuel pressure is bleeding off while it sits i bet. mine does it to! real pain in the a$$. but not worth yet to drop tank again!

does a 97 run a sync signal generator in the dist.? common cause for long startups on many renix
just a thought

When my '97 was doing that it was because the fuel pump was losing the prime if the Jeep sat for any period of time. Once it was running I was good, it was getting it to run that was the problem. From what I was told the MOPAR fuel pump is the best to go with, it comes as an assembly (pump, strainer, fuel pressure regulator, and filter I think.) Cost for all that is in the neighborhood of like $300. Hopefully thats not the problem, but that sounds about like it.

Back