• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A First! I'm not happy with my console swap!

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, decided to swap in a 97+ console to my 89. I changed the parking brake to a 97+, which required custom fabrication of a new brake cable to go from the parking brake handle to the drum brake cables. I then mounted the parking brake handle. One of the holes lines up, the other two do not. No big deal, I used some self tapping screws and took care of that issue.

Now that I have the parking brake reconfigured, I'm thinking I'm home free. The first thing I try to do is modify the new HVAC vent (the black tube that runs heat to the rear passenger area) to fit. For those of you that don't know, its around 3" too short. I modify that, and get it to work (read: half assed modification).

Then comes actually mounting the console itself. I removed the existing metal bracket that the old console screwed into, and tried to figure out where to place the new black plastic bracket that the new ones come with. Trust me, it is not an exact science. The old holes in the floor for the metal bracket do not work for the new bracket, so you have to figure out where to screw the black bracket into the floor.

I'm getting long winded, so here is the summary:

1) As we all know, the new console is around 2" too short for the older XJ's. That may not bother some, but it irritates me :doh:.

2) The new console does not mount the same as the old console. No matter how you do it, its gonna be a 1/2 ass installation.

3) The new parking brake does not line up exactly as it should, although it is very functional.

Basically I am very anal, and like things to look like they belong and are sturdy. The console is neither. Unless you don't mind having exposed screws or bolts (in an effort to secure the console better), this thing is gonna be redneck engineered.

Thoughts? :huh:

Well I was the one who did the write up on this about a year ago. I'm still thrilled with mine to this day. I don't have the rear air duct conjured up yet nor the ebrake but I have absolutely NO exposed bolts/screws. For the bracket I just screwed in the two upper mounting points (the trans and tcase shifters) and then set the 97+ bracket down in there, set the console on top, lined the console bucket up with the bracket holes and then drilled the holes in the floor. I think it looks pretty clean and in fact just this last weekend I did the same thing to my Comanche. I'm sorry you're not happy with it man, I think it's great. Looks a helluva lot better than that old console did.

Agreed, it looks way better. Right now I dont have any bolts or screws exposed on mine to help "stiffen" it, but it seems like it is way too wimpy the way it is mounted. Maybe the come like that outta the factory?

BTW...your write up was very good:eeks1:

heyjpark1 said:
Agreed, it looks way better. Right now I dont have any bolts or screws exposed on mine to help "stiffen" it, but it seems like it is way too wimpy the way it is mounted. Maybe the come like that outta the factory?

BTW...your write up was very good:eeks1:
Yeah I just outweighed the good with the bad. The gap has always bothered me at the front and when my heat is on full blast the whole console just gets drenched with heat. Here's a trick for the rear mounting. Drill the holes in the bracket and floor out bigger (as big as the bracket will allow) and then use a bolt/nut combo locktighted through the floor. It will hold. It was very weak from the factory. Many people (including my brother) with newer XJs have complained about the back end being very wobbly. This is just one we have to outdo Chrysler on. If you have any other questions about it you can certainly ask me or Dan (CommandoXJ96 on here) as he got the console that was featured in my original thread. He did the ebrake and duct as well and he even ran bolts through the side to stiffen it in the back.

can you tell me more about the custom cable you used for the e-brake?

I bought a 97+ ebrake that came with the front cable which is obviously alot longer...

how did you adapt the cable to the two rear cables?

Maybe it's just remorse. Happens to me all the time, as time goes by I really get to like it. Happened when I went from 2-3.5", conferr rack, armor, so on so on. But I really like the changes afterwards.

Console swap was the best thing I ever did, and nothing was really half assed.

rear vent:

used the new one, and cut the front off the old one to fit.
IMG_2371.jpg

just add tape
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

ebrake:
IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

ebrake holds just as well as it did stock. used the older ebrake cable and adjusted it in pretty far.

93XJLI, what do you call that piece ou're running from the ebrake to the old bolt?

Pics of mine:

IM002499.jpg

IM002500.jpg

IM002501.jpg

Where the "gap" is, what's the width difference between the older and newer console? Are they pretty close to the same or way off? I want to try this swap, and my husband has an idea that might fix the gap.

Back