• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose tie rod end on pitman arm

MTN4X4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a loose tie rod end off the pitman arm. i have
replaced it twice in the last year for same reason.
i have 5" of lift, droped pitman arm. i was told that
the draglink and track bar should be at the same angle.
which it is. is this wrong or do i just keep getting bad tie rod ends.
the brand if been using is moog. any help would be nice,
thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have been tightening it properly?

Also...If you post this in the Mod tech forum you can get responses from folks all over the nation instead of just us SoCalies. You can also search in that forum for similar problems people have had.

thanks, i know its installed correctly, i am a tech. i do
a lot of mountian driving living in running springs. i just like to know what
brands you guys recommend .

Always used moog...never had problems. But you might try something bigger or a diff. brand since you're having the same problem repeatedly.

"i do
a lot of mountian driving living in running springs"

that would be the problem. honestly upgrade to a V8 zj steering setup the beefier ends should last longer not to mention its just plain stronger

What TRE are you using? Stock?

It may not have the range necessary for your suspension drop out on the passenger side.

I used the GM 3/4 ton TREs for a while and they have about 60 degrees of range. ES2027L

MTN4X4 said:
MOOG TIE ROD ENDS ,
WHAT MODS DO I NEED TO DO TO CHANGE OVER TO A ZJ SET UP?
no mods it is a direct swap, you can go to napa and just tell them you have a 93 jeep grand cherokee with v8 and they will pull matching part numbers. dont mix brands I did and had to make a trip back to napa to replace the ends with wrong thread pitch.

I think it is one of the best low budget mods I have done to my heep

you change the tie rod drag link adjuster sleves and ends the whole thing. its really easy and works without modifing the pitman arm and knuckels, you can even use the stock stabilizer

MTN4X4 said:
HOW MUCH DOES IT ALL COST. FROM NAPA ) WOULD YOU REC GOING TO
JUNK YARD??

I recommend you don't type in all caps

MTN4X4 said:
HOW MUCH DOES IT ALL COST. FROM NAPA ) WOULD YOU REC GOING TO
JUNK YARD??
i got a steering stabalizer, all tie rod ends, the tierod, the draglink for like 140 and change from napa/advance auto. but i get a discount from napa.

all stock xj parts might i add.

Is this just as good as the jcr 1-ton steering? $100 savings worth the saving?

thanks for the tip on caps, i'm sorry..............
what do you mean $100. savings on 1 ton.
do you mean for another $100 you can upgrade to a jcr 1-ton.
and what is a jcr. ????????

Yes...If we are going to spend $150 to convert to the Moog ZJ V8 style TRE's, drag link and steering arm. Then is that a large enough advantage in order to justify not spending the extra $100-$120 to sport the JCROffroad 1-ton steering. (tech it's a chevy 1/2-3/4 TRE with 7/8 thread)

What are the pro's and the con's of each?

Besides the reaming that is required for the 1-ton stuff

Back