• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Compressor wiring?

XJsurf

NAXJA Forum User
I know there was a thread on here about placement of the ARB Compressor. Prior owner installed it on the fuse side of the fuse block. Which is in the rear wiper slot. I would really like to be able to use the rear wiper. Anybody have an idea how to rear wire that so I could use the rear wiper again?
Second does anyone happen to know the amperage rating of the compressor?

You can search for the amp rating but I would probably run 10 gauge wire. The quick way would be to find a place to pick up battery power (even the Battery post but not great) and install a fuse holder, run to your dash area/switch, under the carpet and back to the compressor. I would error on the side of too heavy rather then too light a wire. Dont use a small gage fuse holder or switch. A switch that is heavy enough will probably have screw on terminals not push on.

If your system is using the stock ARB wiring harness, the only load on the ignition switch is the power relay coil for the ARB. There should be a heavy red wire (12 or 10GA) running from your battery, or power distribution block under the hood, to an in line 10A fuse, that then connects to the relay. From the relay, another red wire runs to the compressor. You only need to find a slot on the fuse block that's hot only when the ignition switch is on.

xjbubba said:
If your system is using the stock ARB wiring harness, the only load on the ignition switch is the power relay coil for the ARB. There should be a heavy red wire (12 or 10GA) running from your battery, or power distribution block under the hood, to an in line 10A fuse, that then connects to the relay. From the relay, another red wire runs to the compressor. You only need to find a slot on the fuse block that's hot only when the ignition switch is on.

With that being said, just a take a multimeter and read across the spaces on the fuse block with the car on?

The short answere is yes. I think you can buy special spade adapters that will allow you to "plug" into any of the fused circuits without disabling the circuit. Just find one that is "hot" with the ignition key in the "run" position. Connect the small, red wire (old harness), or the red-yellow wire (newest harness) to that location.

Back