• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft dilemma (84 XJ)

firefight343

NAXJA Forum User
I just came back from tahoe (i just bought an 84 off craigslist) and pulled 4 trucks, a camaro, and a tow truck out! needless to say i was stoked that my jeep took the abuse. anyway...this leads into my question:

i was driving home in 4wd due to rain and icy conditions, and heard a loud click under my seat (much louder than my front locker normally is), i shifted into 2hi and everything was fine...until the next morning when it sounded like the locker was engaged in 2hi. i looked underneath the jeep and my front drive shaft was sheared at the t-case. my question is:

1) its is normal/okay to drive in 4hi in icy/slippery road conditions?
2) what do you call the point of connection between the front DS and the t-case (looks like a tin can)
3) i am currently still trying to remove the drive shaft/tin can thingy at a junk yard to replace my own and noticed that my can is empty (the junk yard one has what looks to be a bearing, grease, and a gasket-type rubber peice) and that i cant unscrew the 4 bolts holing the can onto the t-case....therefore I CANT GET THE BUGGER OFF. its so frustrating.

any tips/advice for removing the DS, naming of the parts, and general installation advice would be greatly appreciated. my XJ hates being forced into a 2wd vehicle, almost as must as i hate submitting it to that! thanks a bunch...and again ANY hel wold be extremely appreciated

1) yes it is ok to drive in 4hi in slippery road conditions. that also goes for heavy rain.
2)??? (good question)

you have to remove the 4 bolts holding the front driveshaft on the yoke. then there is a big nut in the yoke (i believe it's 1 1/8") after you remove that, you carefully tap the yoke off of the splines. after that you remove the bolts holding the cone (not sure what it's called right now.) in place, and with a flat tip screw driver CAREFULLY pry it off the transfer case. if you look very carefully, there should be at least 1 little tab or indent to seperate the halfs.

now to be honest, i would first try to figure out why your front driveshaft broke. it could be that the u-joints were seizing up and not allowing it to move freely. or maybe the driveshaft angle is to steep. or maybe something was wrong with the driveshaft (such as bad u-joints), and it stressed the input at the transfer case enough to fry the bearing until it ate itself up.

either way, i would try to figure out what happened, and depending on what you find at the transfercase, i might almost recommend putting in a new transfercase. but that depends on what all was damaged and affected.

any way you can post some pics???

1) Its ok as long as it is slippery
2) 84-86 had a GKN front driveshaft. the can is the constant velocity joint.
3) looks like it should just unbolt from the flange on the case using 4 bolts.
you would probably be better off swapping to the 87+ driveshaft and front output yoke, just find one thats the correct length, because they are stronger and easier to work on.

HTH

Tommy

Back