• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 brakes on a D44

If your talking about an XJ/MJ D44 then besides the brake size more important is the axletube flange pattern.I bought ZJ discs for my 44 but never put them on,just bought a new package for the 2.5"x10" rear factory brakes.They are huge/meaty and stop/hold great!
0603997-r1-052-24a.jpg

RCP Phx said:
If your talking about an XJ/MJ D44 then besides the brake size more important is the axletube flange pattern.I bought ZJ discs for my 44 but never put them on,just bought a new package for the 2.5"x10" rear factory brakes.They are huge/meaty and stop/hold great!
0603997-r1-052-24a.jpg

Yes, it's a XJ/MJ D44. I was wondering about the flange pattern. Looks like I need to take things apart and measure.
Thanks.

D44 and 8.25 have the same axle tube size but have a different bolt pattern when it is a pre 90 D44. The D35 brakes after 1990 have the same bolt pattern as a 8.25 but would need the centre hole taken out to match the larger axle tube size of the 8.25.

Gojeep said:
D44 and 8.25 have the same axle tube size but have a different bolt pattern when it is a pre 90 D44. The D35 brakes after 1990 have the same bolt pattern as a 8.25 but would need the centre hole taken out to match the larger axle tube size of the 8.25.

IIRC, this is not quite true.

Pretty sure the tube sizes are:

D44 tubes are 2.75" and 8.25 tubes are 3"

In addition to having to hone out the center hole on the brackets for d35 brakes to fit on an 8.25, you also need to hone out the bolt holes a little bit. (This I know to be true, done the swap multiple times)

I think you would find a bit more effort in putting 35 brakes on the 44 (than putting them on an 8.25), but if you already had the parts I think you could make them work with some modification.

If the bolt pattern at the flange is completely different, then you might have enough metal to drill out new holes, if it's close, you might be outta luck without some welding to fill old holes, etc.

8.25 3" really! Never thought they were that big as based it on the write ups on fitting ZJ rear disc conversion that they mentioned you take the centre hole out to the same size for the D44 and the 8.25?
D35 tubes are 2 5/8" BTW in case someone was after that info.

Well there you go. ;)
They must turn down the tube after it comes through the axle flange then? This would stll be the measurement though that would effect what he is trying to do so do you know?

Back