• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 donor engine/trans to '93 XJ - some questions

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so after searching OEM tech I've discovered that swapping a '96 engine and auto trans into my '93 5sp XJ is not exactly an easy swap - if not impossible.... help me out here.

I see that the '96's ECM is different than my '93 - dunno if the harness connectors are even compatible.

I see that the '96 has dual O2 sensors and my '93 does not.

I see that the belt routing and overall layout of the accessories is a bit different - probably making it difficult to use my '93 P/S pump in place of the bad '96's.

I see that the AW4 wiring on the '96 is integrated into the main harness along the cowl. My '93 doesn't have any wiring connectors that look like they'd work - I assume the AW4 would have to be wired by hand to work?

How is a '93 AW4 wired in? Does it have a separate harness? Would this '96 AW4 work if I get '93 auto stuff?

Bought a rolled '96 for the engine and auto to swap in and it doesn't look like it'll work now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the complete 96 and you just don't want to swap eveything over? I can understand that if so, I just pulled the harnesses out of my 96 donor and it's a job.

The engine would be easy. I'm pretty sure it would be plug and play if you swapped in the 93 sensors. The trans.... I haven't a clue unless you convert it to manual shift.

BTW, I have a 96 P/S pump if you need one.

Tom

You will need to run the 96 TCU with the 96 tranny and the tranny had some sensor changes with the switch to ODBII. Best bet in my opinion is to transplant the 96 ECU and wiring harness.

Back