• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problem

slipperypete393

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee with the AW4 tranny. It's leaking a little bit, and I mean a little, but thats not my problem. For some reason, when the tranny is getting ready to shift, it makes a high pitched sqealing noise. I have no idea what this could be, other than maybe the tranny is not sealed all the way and is making this noise. That's my only guess. And yes, it does have the proper amount of fluid in it. I was hoping someone on here could give me a better idea or help me out, thanks.

My wife complained that our 93 ZJ with AW4 did the exact same thing. When the rpms are up and its about to shift, she hears a high pitched whine. Turned out to be the a/c compressor complaining though. Turn off the a/c and switch the vents away from defrost and the noise goies away.

My AC is almost always off. I don't think it's the AC because it didn't start doing this until I did a tranny flush and changed the filter. I'll double check on the AC thing though, but is there anything else you can think of? Thanks.

Oh. BTW, the fastest way to kill a tranny is to let a tranny shop (or worse Jiffy lube) do a power flush. It just knocks all the crap loose and plugs up the valve body.

I hate to revisit such an old thread....but I guess that is what search is for.

I am having this exact same problem. Was this one ever resolved, or has anyone else experienced it? It is right when the transmission is about to shift or the converter is going to lock up. Modulating the gas can make it go away, but when you're on the throttle it will happen.

I'm stumped.

Back