• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bump and Stop

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this is a common issue but it is driving me nuckin futs!! I just bought my '91 XJ 4.0L AW4 on Sunday and drove it back home. Every time I hit a good sized bump or pothole going above 25mph my engine would cut out for a fraction of a sec. It was more evident at highway speeds as my rig would slow down quite abit. After the bump or pothole, normal operation.

I am guessing it is a fuel issue as it gets worse at high speeds. The duration is always the same, the engine goes back to normal after the bump.

Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had this happen before in any other vehicle. Thanks alot dudes!

Try hooking up a fuel gauge and running it up to the cowl for a few days and drive it just to see if the fuel pressure changes when it dies out. I had to shim my hood up at the back with washers so The fuel pressure test hose didn't get pinched or damaged. (My buddies snap on tester).Check all the wires to your coli too, I had e few corroded connections on mine. Good Luck , Happy mud and trails

Look at your CPS wire. It runs very close to the exhaust manifold, and sometimes will touch it. When it does, it will short against the manifold and your engine will cut out.

Back