• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 "clunking" noise from bellhousing

MAO

NAXJA Forum User
My friend has a 98 Cherokee 4.0 auto. Upon starting and just after he turns the ignition off there are some loud metallic banging noises coming from the bell-housing area. The vehicle sounds fine otherwise with no apparent vibration. At first I thought it might have been the exhaust pipe banging against something due to a bad motor mount, or loose hanger. He crawled underneath when he had it started and the pipe hardly moved, but he could feel the clunking vibration from the bell housing briefly for a few seconds.

My guess is that the torque converter is loose for some reason and it is flopping when it doesn't have enough centrifugal force to keep it steady. That sound logical? Hard for me to imagine how it could have come loose. He says this noise has been present for the last 1,000 miles, and runs fine once you get past the initial noise. Wouldn't the mainshaft of the tranny keep it steady and not let it flop if a bolt came loose? I am guessing at least 2 bolts might be loose. There is no grinding when he starts it, so I don't believe it is the flywheel. Does the observation cover on the AW4 give you enough room to check the converter bolts and tighten if necessary? Thanks for the help.

sounds like the flexplate or the converter bolts is loose or cracked. A search of "flexplate" will come up with all the info you need to know. Best case scenario is that it is just loose and the bolts need to be re-torqued to spec and a visual inspection for cracks.
worst case scenario is that it is cracked and needs to be replaced.
Either way, pull the bellhousing inspection plate and have a look. The search should come up with all the other info you need to know.

clunk said:
sounds like the flexplate or the converter bolts is loose or cracked. A search of "flexplate" will come up with all the info you need to know. Best case scenario is that it is just loose and the bolts need to be re-torqued to spec and a visual inspection for cracks.
worst case scenario is that it is cracked and needs to be replaced.
Either way, pull the bellhousing inspection plate and have a look. The search should come up with all the other info you need to know.

I agree that it is probably a loose torque converter, just wanted to give the highest probability solution to my friend, since he is just a tinkerer. Can the torque converter bolts be tighten through the bellhousing inspection access, or would he have to have the tranny pulled for such a small task? Thanks.

Back