• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked coolant bottle

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj 4.0 closed system: So I have a cracked coolant bottle, I priced out a oem bottle and its $244 canadian and comes with all the hoses. I have replaced every replaceable part in the cooling system and everything works great so I'd rather just replace the bottle, will a bottle off any other vehicles fit? or anyone recommend a reasonable aftermarket replacement? I probably don't need it till spring. Thanks!

You can't use a resivoir from any other vehicle unless you had the open system with the unpressurized resivoir.....

The closed system has pressure in the overflow bottle so it has to be the same type...

Blaine B. said:
You can't use a resivoir from any other vehicle unless you had the open system with the unpressurized resivoir.....

The closed system has pressure in the overflow bottle so it has to be the same type...
early 90's intrepid has a closed sytem, and supposedly a much better bottle.
makes sense, since the intrepid was an AMC design practically.

Blaine B. said:
Heh, or just buy one for 20 bucks.....what, every 20 years?
I think I'm going to do mine every coolant change.
THe one I took off looked ok, but compared to a new one you could see that it was distorted.
plastic and high temps just aren't a good mix for an extended period of time.
So, my junk will go open system, or I'll replace the bottle every 2 years and keep the old as a spare.
Having popped one on the trail I can tell you that it's quite unpleasant.

my experience - mine leaked for a while very slightly and I could see where it was cracked, vertically from the filler cap down.
bought a new tank from the dealer (no where near $200???, I think it was under $100 but no hoses) and a cap as well.
a couple weeks later it's pissing all over when I shut down. I check it out and see that the cap has popped up on the threads. crank it down again but after running and pressurizing it popped back up. that's when I noticed that there is a rip in the hoodliner right above the filler cap.

bottom line - my coolant bottle shelf was just a little too high and the hood would hit the coolant bottle cap on the side and broke the threads on the bottle. I took the shelf out, bent it to lower it (abs crap underneath is long gone) installed a 2nd new bottle and cap and no problem since. this was at least 3-4 months ago.
I suggest that if you have a prob with cracked tanks or esp leaky caps, make sure your hood is not hitting it.

Thanks everyone for the info, My Napa and Lordco auto parts store said they were not available aftermarket , only through a dealer,guess I could of googled it. I ordered the Quadratec one.

hey you live in castlegar! Another person from the kootenays holy hell!
I live in Nelson most of the year, I'm on the coast right now because I'm laid off for the winter, start work up there again in another month or so, I work for timberland consultants, forestry company up there.
do you wheel much up there? Ive seen a black XJ on 33's in Nelson a few times, always figured it must been someone from the gar or trail since I don't see it in town too often and you don't see too many lifted trucks in Nelson.
You should shoot me a PM or just reply here if you wanna go wheeling sometime later in the year. I'll be building up my cherokee over spring when the paychecks start flowing agian, love to go wheeling after that tho.
cheers

Some of the Volvo cars used a very similar design (makes me wonder if AMC sold the surplus to Volvo) Oh yeah, late '80s Volvos.

ren said:
Some of the Volvo cars used a very similar design (makes me wonder if AMC sold the surplus to Volvo) Oh yeah, late '80s Volvos.

We pulled one with an '03 date stamp from a 240-series Volvo sedan (non-turbo) to use on a friend of mine's '89. Works like a charm.

We recently had a 1990 volvo 740 in the shop-looked close but it was gone before I had a real good look at the bottle.

Wow that is a good find! I just orderedone up full price and man it was $$$, but now i know i will never have to replace it ever again!I live in Ca. so my cooling system works hard and i was replacing these things almost every three years!

Lots of high end cars used the closed system, jeep did away with them only because the open system is cheaper to build.

Most all liquid cooled Cycles ATV's and Snow mobiles use closed systems.

Back