• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get pilot bearing holder out? Going from Manual to Auto

95cherokee33s

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an engine from a manual cherokee, and I have an auto 4.0l. I got the pilot bearing out, but I can't get the little metal piece that the pilot bearing goes into the crank out. Any ideas? Thanks

fill hole with grease and use a alignment tool or wood dowel the same size and drive it in-the hydraulic pressure will drive the bushing right out

That is exactly how to do it. You can also go to the Parts store and get a race puller. But by the time you go and get it and come back, one could have used the other method and been off in another direction.

if you do the grease method, wear eye protection......trust me.....:roflmao:

Jeff

I couldn't get mine out when I converted to an auto either. Of course the reason I was converting was that the pilot bearing nuked, turning into a metallic paste and tearing up the manuals input shaft. I gave up trying to pressure it out with a dowel and sopping wet toilet and then grease (damn messy). I used a dremel and a small chisel to get the races out.

Back