• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Specific Seat Swap Question(s)

GAJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I m looking at putting power seats from a 97 into my non-power seated 92. After searching extensively, I still have several questions.

1. I know that newer front seats mount differently to the floor than older front seats. Does anyone know if the 97 seat will bolt directly to the 92 mount?

2. Has anyone been successful in wiring power seats into an XJ that did not origionally have power?

3. I believe that the bottom of the 97 rear seat will go directly into the 92 and that the top latches of the rear back are a direct fit. Is anyone familiar with the bottom bolts/peg on the rear seat back? I read that the older seat back has a bolt and a peg and that the newer seat back has two bolts. Anyone with any experience with this?

4. Assuming that the seat hardware does not swap easily, anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the covers can be swapped between 97 and 92 seats?

Thanks for the feedback....

The rear seat upper cusion in my '90 had 2 bolts to attach it to the body, but my 2 '88 models use 1 bolt and slip pin. Go figure.
I understand that the later model seats (around '95 & up) fit the earlier models, but you need to use a piece of angle iron bolted to the floor and then the seat front bolts to that for the front of the seat to mount. Not sure about seat covers.
The wiring harness for the power seats "should" allready be under the carpet in your XJ, it was in one of my '88's and it was under there for the '90. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I got the seats at a good price so I will figure something out. Between the old seats, the new seats, my angle grinder and a roll of duct tape, they will go in some way...

Don't forget the JB Weld! Seriuosly, though, you might consider removing the bolt from the driver side of the rear cusion, and then welding in the pin from the old seat back. Scratch that. Just remove and replace the seat fabric. It has a zipper on the bottom of the cusion. Just to make the re-skin easier, wrap the foam cusion in plastic, like trash bags, only don't over-tighten the plastic or the foam will be too compressed and not support any weight.

As far as I remember, the rear mounting points are the same (don't quote me on that). And the only difference is how the front goes in. The newer seats have a small raised bar that houses the nutcerts for the seat to mount to. So all you need to do to make the newer seats work is to weld this piece into the older body style.

Part numbers are:
55174 756AB - Right - $13.80
55174 759AB - Left - $13.80

Floor.jpg

okay...

i have WJ seats. i bought these after i read that they will bolt on to xj seat brackets. unfortunately that info was only true for the 95+ seats (the ones that use that cross brace shown). so basically, i'm saying that the 95+ (94.5?) seat bases are different than than yours, including the bolt pattern on the seat bottom. wouldn't be too hard to change really though.

i have an older rear seat in my 92. it originally was held in w/ 2 bolts as you had mentioned. i found a non-curved (bent from fat people) rear seat in an 85 and put that in. it had the pin on one side. all i did was drill out the threads on the nut to fit it in. i used a 1/2 or 9/16 drill bit i believe to make it fit. i don't know if this is true, but to me it seemed that the older seat back was sturdier if anyone cares.

Back