• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door lock relay replacement

viperbaron

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so how do I get in to replace that troublesome door lock relay over on the right door? My door locks sometimes don't respond. If I give the right door a hard hit near the switchs, the door locks resume normal operation. I've read that there is a relay inside there that can cause all doors to not respond to the electric lock function. Do I need to remove the whole door liner, or is there a way to get to the relay through disassembly of the switch console?
Thanks!

I don't think the relay is in the door. The solenoid and door switch are, but I'd suspect a bad switch or wiring between the door and the body.

"Something" clicks in the right door when I flip the door lock switch on the drivers side. I've read where there is a relay over there that is prone to corosion. If I hit the right door there by the switches; a firm slap, the electronic door locks will start working again.
I'm working on the rear window washer prob this evening. I'll tackle this door lock prob later this week.
K...

It's not the relay you hear clicking, it's the actuator. Could just be a lot of dust/dirt on the mechanism. However, if smacking the switch panel temporarily fixes it, I'd suspect the switch. My '88 has a fair bit of corrosion on the switch contacts that prevented full voltage from getting to the actuators. It got better or worse depending on how long in the sun my jeep sat before opening it.

Pull the door panel off, inspect the switch. Clean any contacts. Get some spray lube and inspect then lube up the lock mechanism.

The relays should be under the pass side kick panel.

Back