• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple of quick questions

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had a lot of problems after my 89 pioneer was almost stolen. They busted up the steering column pretty good and im 99% sure this is where all of my problems come into play but ive searched to no definate answers so ill go ahead and ask :) . First off ive replaced the key cylinder so she would start since this is my daily driver, After doing so my stereo and heater cut out alot along with my blinkers. I have to turn the key forward and hold it to get my blinkers,stereo, and heater on. Secondly I have no tail or dash lights, ive replaced the headlight switch to no avail. Finally this morning the battery was dead , got another battery and have now noticed the radio and heater come on with the cylinder in lock position and no key! then to top it off it started up twice then when i went to leave my house i put the key in turn forward and nothing. I have no radio or heater like before and no blinkers. I can hear the pump prime but the starter doesnt even bother with clicking relays or anything! Someone please clue me in? im going ahead with an entire column swap here soon but want to know what causes these problems and if its column related. Th+anks for any help what so ever! :)

Your problems sound like the ignition switch is worn or out of adjustment. The key cylinder is not the switch. The switch is at the bottom of the steering column, and operates by a rod from the key cylinder. This switch can malfunction causing trouble in multiple circuits which are otherwise seperate circuits on seperate fuses. It is a standard replacement part for the GM column in your jeep. It must be installed and adjusted to operate properly in all key positions- try a search on thi site for ignition switch, I believe the adjustement procedure has been posted in the past. Sorry I don't have it to post.

Second the above, but first check if the vandals just bent up the rod that connects the key cylinder to the switch. It's easy to get this messed up, but it might be possible to get the rod straightened out and then readjust the switch without having to replace it. This happened when some very clumsy thieves tried to steal my daughter's 87. It took a while to get it to run right, and it always required a little wiggle of the key to make sure it came back out of "start" position.

Back