• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear run tomorrow

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Sorry for the really short notice. Kyung, Chris, and I are heading to Big Bear tomorrow to play around.

We'll be in the Big Bear area around 8:30 am and will probably run John Bull, then head over to Holcomb Creek.

We're meeting up in Mentone, so we won't be stopping at the Discovery Center. We'll be on channel 6 or you can call my cell if you can make it. (949)212-8887.

This will probably be Chris' last run before he moves back to Nebraska.

Any snow up there yet? I'm going to be way the hell out in Adelanto most of tomorrow so can't make it this weekend, but was hoping to get up there before New Years'.

Had a good day today. Just three of us, so we were able to get through John Bull and Holcomb Creek pretty quickly.

Beautiful weather. Got a little nippy in the shadows though. A little bit of ice made it interesting in the first rock garden on Holcomb.

And my left coil spring kept popping out. :roll:

Chris in the rock garden.
IMG_0281.jpg

Poser boy.
IMG_0278.jpg

Does anyone wanna go next Saturday?? There might be a little snow this week.

Is this anything that can be done stock with 30" BFG's? I am more worried about things needing a lift (to clear BIG rocks, etc) than anything really. Otherwise I am open like others and can drive pretty good.

Re: Big Bear run Saturday

Hey Andy,

Chris is on 31s and is open/open and he had no problems at all, except for the ice. Rock rails are a definite must, though.

Last edited:
Chris definitely made it look easy today. Good driving skills definitely come into play. Way to go Chris.

Had a great time.

Kyung

Good spotters help too. :D

chelms27 said:
Had a great time, thanks again Johhny and Kyung for one last trip in SoCal.
No problem. Let us know when you're back in our neck of the woods.

Kyung

Hey guys,

Wish I could have made it. To much going on right now and neither of the Jeeps are ready.

Johnny, I may be able and ready to run on Dec 23rd (2 weeks) I will be out of town next weekend.

Let me know if you are interested in the 23rd. I know I am for sure going up on Thursday the 28th. My friend from AZ will be in BB at his parents cabin. You can go up with me then if you want, it will be a oone day trip again for me....

Chris - it was great getting to know you and wheeling with you. Hope to do it again someday....
Best of luck back in flat country.....LOL

Yeah, the 23rd sounds very possible. That would give Ken more time to get his OX fixed.

xjohnnyc said:
Hey Andy,

Chris is on 31s and is open/open and he had no problems at all, except for the ice. Rock rails are a definite must, though.

no rock rails..:tear:

silverslk said:
no rock rails..:tear:
Andy,

Theres tons to do in BB stock I ran up there for years bone stock on 235's so dont get discouraged. Look for a group of stock guys to go with. I did gold mountain, white mountain, and a number of other trails up there before I got lifted.

Cool, thanks for the info. I don't know anything about big bear so I don't know where trails are. I will write those down so I don't forget.

dzraces said:
Andy,

Theres tons to do in BB stock I ran up there for years bone stock on 235's so dont get discouraged. Look for a group of stock guys to go with. I did gold mountain, white mountain, and a number of other trails up there before I got lifted.

Yes he is right there are so many trails up there you can run stock...or some even with a 2wd. For john Bull, deep creek, and holcomb I would recommend rock rails.

If I am able to make it on the 23rd, I 'd be willing to run Gold Mountain and you could run it. You will need to take a couple of by-passes and listen to a spotter really well, but you could do it. Then after, we'd have to see what we coudl do, maybe Jacoby Canyon or something else. I am not sure I would want to run the wife's TJ on Holcomb or JB the first run out anyways...

chelms27 said:
yeah, the TJ probably wouldnt be able to make it...LOL
X2.

You may want to practice at the mall first.:moon:

Back