• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After Christmas Trail Run Sat. 12/26

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Saturday 12/26 Big Bear Discovery Center 9:30 AM. Join JohnX and myself for slogging around in the snow and mud and hopefully dreadful trail conditions.

My current plan is to run Gold Mtn through to and including John Bull and maybe Holcomb Creek top to bottom. If we make it to Holcomb, getting up the waterfall will likely be the toughest part of the run. Don't expect the rocks to be dry and there isn't a bypass. We may be on the trail after dark intentionally.

Front AND rear recovery points are MANDATORY for this outing. Whining is prohibited.

Waterfall on Holcomb?

Rock garden at the very top; maybe it's the top of the lower half. It has been a while. There is a creek there that crosses the trail and at times runs through the rocks. It's more of a "waterfall" than what is referred to as one on Dishpan. :D

There is a real waterfall that is slightly off the trail too that is really cool.

Last edited:
I'll be out there as well and am on 33's and locked up front. But a buddy in a bone stock wrangler on 31's will also be there. This sounds like it may be too difficult for his rig.

bone stock wrangler on 31's

Depending on the driver; clearance will still be tough to get around, though, especially w/o discos and armor. Probably not a good idea.

I appreciate the invite, but I'm going to take a pass. I just heard that my son and his GF are coming down from Arcata, so I'll want to hang out with them.

Have fun.

Anyone planning on going remember to bring a shovel. Warm clothes in layers, boots etc.
I'll have jumper cables.

We survived.

Ran gold mountain to john bull and back out gold mountain again. Light snow, conditions were great, we did have a couple arb issues, which of course only made it more entertaining.

Just Tim, Ethan, sarge, and I.

I think that i passed by you guys out on the trail. We passed two white xj's with naxja stickers while we were leaving gold mountain. I was in a green xj, my buddy up ahead was in a white xj and there was a yellow jk behind me.

We ran gold mountain then took a fireroad over to Holcomb. My buddy in the white xj struggled but made it past the gate keeper then had to winch himself up since it was so steep and icy. He's on 35's locked front and rear. I'm only locked up front and on 33's and i could not make it over the gate keeper. I just kept sliding off so we decided to turn around and head to the cabin since it was getting cold.

Back