• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Canister Removal

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
I'm taking off my bumper tomorrow to put tow hooks on. I know there is a vacuum canister under the passenger side bumper. Is it easy to disconnect, how do i do it xj 01 sport 4x4

Pull the hose out. Undo 2 screws.

but relocate to inside the engine bay. if you like your a/c or heat. (or cruise if you have it)

maybe i misread... if you arent thinking of completely removing it, yea, two screws and a hose. (or two)

just use the hose on it to relocate it under the hood. should be plenty. unhook it from the cannister, move the cannister into the engine bay, pull hose back thru into engine bay and plug it back in. right now I have mine wedged between the AC cannister and the wheel well area. wanna finsih installing some electronics in that area before I find a permanent place for it.

beakie said:
just use the hose on it to relocate it under the hood. should be plenty. unhook it from the cannister, move the cannister into the engine bay, pull hose back thru into engine bay and plug it back in. right now I have mine wedged between the AC cannister and the wheel well area. wanna finsih installing some electronics in that area before I find a permanent place for it.

I put mine on the other side of the canister, the factory vac lines were more then long enough and I undid a bolt and bolted it back in place.

I have heard many people say to move it into the engine compartment...What are the advantages of relocating it there, except from protecting it from potential damage?

I moved mine to the engine compartment...for a while. IMO, it is more in the way there. I moved it back and put it behind my winch bumper. Now it is truly out of sight and out of mind.

dynorockcg said:
I have heard many people say to move it into the engine compartment...What are the advantages of relocating it there, except from protecting it from potential damage?

It gives you the chance to place it somewhere else so you don't have to have the hose that runs to it being directly underneath the battery. mine got acid on it and it burned these little holes, and if that system isn't airtight you get several annoying problems - the HVAC vents will be stuck on Defrost and the cruise control won't work.

joe.

dynorockcg said:

If it were in the engine bay prople would be moving in out of the way under the bumper.

I just repaired the same battery acid problem. There is some room in the engine compartment but I don't get it...I think langer said ti best!!

dynorockcg said:
Do you use regular tubing to relocate? Or since it is a vacuum system, does the tubing have to be special?

aquarium silicone tubing will work well, but i strongly doubt you'll need it. I use it all the time in cars (vacuum lines, siphoning brake fluid from master cylinder, wire insulation, stealing gasoline :laugh3:, you name it...)

langer1 said:
If it were in the engine bay prople would be moving in out of the way under the bumper.

LOL.. So True... If Jeeps came lifted from the factory, we would probably lower them to keep the center of gravity lower.. :gee:

Elias
Just call me "E"

Back