• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS on a daily driver.

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
More, or less how good is the ABS system on an XJ? I am taking a friend vehicle shoping tomarow she is thinking SUV, and has always kind of liked my XJ. So I'm thinking to try to help her pick one out. She will never have it off road so the D35 will not be of consern. I'm basicly conserned if we should be looking to stear away, or something to consider for her. The roads here tend to be abnormally slick when it's raining (there is an oil refinery on the west side of town, and think that might have something to do with it), and I know my nonABS xj is a bit squirrely in the rain wanting to lock the front tires on stops, and spin on take offs.
I am thinking 98/99, or an 01 4.0ltr, AW4, 242, and ABS.

I would look for something simple for her. ABS can get expensive when it comes to fixing costs. Find an older XJ that is owned by an older couple. Basically someone who has done all the check ups and related and has a ton of history with the SUV.

Having owned my 2000 with ABS since the beginning of the year, I can say I have not had the ABS kick in in DD type driving. Mind you have not had any rain in San Diego for the most part. Even in the few times I have been out to the desert, I have only had it kick in once so overall it's not very intrusive unlike my old S10 Blazer which I could have kick in just looking at the pedal wrong.

I am currently removing it as I swapped to a 8.25 and can't really use it. It has become a little more of a PITA because I need to remove the ABS pump and make my own connections to the prop valve. If you are not going to modify it, I don't see a big downside outside of possible future repair costs. YMMV

xj_mike said:
Having owned my 2000 with ABS since the beginning of the year, I can say I have not had the ABS kick in in DD type driving. Mind you have not had any rain in San Diego for the most part. Even in the few times I have been out to the desert, I have only had it kick in once so overall it's not very intrusive unlike my old S10 Blazer which I could have kick in just looking at the pedal wrong.

This is more or less kind of what I'm trying to find out. Is the system overly intrusive. The only Jeep I have ever driven with ABS is a ZJ, and quite frankly the system would scare me on ocasion. I stops that I thought was not warrenting ABS actvation it would come on, and stoping distance would greatly increase. HOwever the ZJ was a 5.2 and weighs a bt more than an XJ. I have driven a few Fords that I thought the ABS was great. Any ABS equiped Chevy I have ever driven has terrable breaks (excluding rear only trucks).

Our new to us 98 has ABS, been driving it since ~August.

I have yet to feel the ABS, even on wet roads with the OEM Goodyear baloney skins that came on it. I'd be more woried about the factory rubber on it from a safety perpsective. Those RT/S tires R teh sxs.

HTH

Select-Trac transfer case would be a good idea. So that she can use it in the light rain and you don't have to worry about hurting it if it is engaged when there are no slippery conditions. Also don't have to worry about wheel hop when going around corners, which for some think there is a problem when its just the Tcase in Part time. Also gives the option to use part time when needed. Hope this helps.

Back