• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my MJ caught fire while driving!

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
So, I'm going in to work yesterday, driving down the freeway, talking on the phone with the girlfriend, and start smelling electrical burning. Then I lose power and decide to get off the freeway at the next off ramp. I had lost power going down the 5 a month or two ago, pulled off, and didn't see anything wrong. Felt like a vaccuum leak or something both then and now.

Well, driving off the offramp, the truck shuts off totally. By the time I came to a stop, the hood had warped and I realized it was on fire. Just after I realized that, to confirm it, smoke starts pouring out from under the hood.

I get out of the truck, run up to the Mimi's Cafe (on Mckinley and the 91), tell them my truck is on fire out front and ask for an extinguisher (apparently mine was in my YJ). Get the extinguisher and run back out. Tried to spray through the grill with no results, try to get it from underneath with minimal results. Then I try to pop the hood... and can't. So, I basically dump the whole extinguisher at it from under the hood.

Seeing that that didn't help, I call 911 and tell them what's up, they say they'll send a fire truck right away. I then decide if I'm going to lose the truck, at least I can take the stuff out from inside it. I yank the dash panel apart, use a ratchet to get the stereo out of the dash, cut the wires with my knife... and in the process cut my finger on some exposed wire or metal or something... then clean everthing out from behind the seats, console and glove box. About that time I hear the sirens from the fire dept... here's some pictures that take it from there.

209015580.jpg

209015570.jpg

209015577.jpg

209015607.jpg

209015585.jpg

209015584.jpg

209015582.jpg

Sorry bout the clarity of the pics, all I had was the cell phone.

Final damage, my finger, basically all of the plastic under the hood, including wiring, sensors, wiper fluid resevoir, PS pump resevoir and others... I really dunno what all is hammered. I had cut myself bad enough to need stitches. Of course, I didn't have time for that... so when I'm healed up enough where the finger doesn't bleed if I look at it, I'll try and figure out what to do about the truck.

And, no, insurance won't cover it, I've only got liability.

What would you guys do with it? Part it out, build another one, fix this one?

Last edited:
the body looks in excellent shape. I'd repair it, but I've got a weak spot for MJs.
Find a donor XJ with a rotted out body, take it's wiring harness and all the stuff that got burnt up, maybe even swap the motor.

I would have tried to pop the hood open and piss on the fire. It would make an awesome picture.

Out here in So Cal, there isn't much rust on many vehicles. Its true this one was really clean (except for the paintjob) until this happened. No rust at all really.

I just think its more work than I want to get into putting it back together again...

This may have been asked before but, is that Pete Trasborgs' project MJ from JP magazine? I was out of the loop for awhile so if I missed something I am sorry.

Oh and fix it! XJs are way to plentyful to junk a nice MJ with a small flash fire.
If you do decide to junk it please send it to my driveway junk yard.

I am glad you are OK, except for the finger.

I would totally repair it or find another nice MJ and transfer your good stuff to it - axles, wheels & tires, etc...

Heck, maybe you could find a nice 2wd for cheap and then convert it to 4x4 with your parts. Then part out the body parts - doors, glass, bed, or keep them all for spares.

I just don't think I would want to mess with a complete wiring harness, all of the sensors, and everythign else that was burned.

Good Luck!

Yep, that's the MJ.

See, the problem is, with the amount of work to fix it, I could go get another one, and swap all the suspension over to the other one. I dunno.

Hell for the money alone in the rear springs and the front shocks I would fix it. I have a soft spot as well because I have a 86 MJ and love it.

From the adjuster's standpoint.

Fire losses suck, you've got your work cut out for you attempting to fix it... all the electrical underhood is toast, and that is time consuming right there. If you can do it, now's the time for a V8 swap. Otherwise I'd cut your losses, salvage the thing, and buy another one.

How much would it go for "as is".

Well, the way I figure it, all the wiring from the C101 connector out is done, maybe the connector itself.

Actually, the wire for the front lights, fans and such looks ok.

PS pump, wiper washer resevoir, all the sensors on top of the engine, MAP sensor, I could go on...

The engine, I'm not sure I'd run it.

The suspension and everything came out ok... as did much of the wiring on the passenger side of it.

But yeah, definately work cut out if I try to fix it.

juryrigjalopy said:
How much would it go for "as is".

I really don't know what it'd be worth... I'm really just coming around to thinking of not fixing it, and letting it go...

If I could sit on it and fix it at my leisure, I probably would... But I don't have that luxury. So its either thrash to fix it, or thrash to take it apart... and since I'm sentimental about such things, I'd rather not take it apart.

I do know I'd be interested in flat out trading for a bone stock 98 TJ though.

I've got a bone stock 95 YJ, but I need something to drive for a while as well as some cash to fix'er up. and my other YJ is borderline street legal.

Too bad you aren't local. I would jump on it in a minute. The underhood stuff is simple. Find a donor and grab the wiring harness. I have swapped so many it only takes me about an 30 minutes to pull one and about an hour to install one.

You will need injectors, and a distributor. Depending on where the fire was really comming from, you may need a throttle body and intake.

Can you post some pix of the engine compartment?

Damnit Pete that blows.

If the fire was contained to just the engine bay and dash wiring looks good I'd VERY seriously consider repairing it. I don' thtink the wirirng will be that bad if you do it smart (replace 100% of it, go to a yard and get it all).

Yeah it's gonna cost you some money but in the end you'll still have the MJ ;)

The money isn't the problem... its the time involved.

Basically, if I do that, and the engine itself was somehow damaged, I don't have time to replace the engine before the shop that its sitting at will want it gone. Can't keep it in my driveway, can't park it at work and replace the engine there. So it'd be a gamble my fixing it... As near as I can tell it was contained to the engine compartment... but bear in mind, I was bleeding pretty good at the time, and still somewhat in shock that my truck burned.

The only engine compartment pictrures I've got are from the phone, and blurry... I can get some on Friday that are decent... maybe tomorrow, but friday for sure.

Damn pete, that sucks BIG TIME!!! What happened to the Walker EVans wheels and BFG??

Back