• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

We have lost one of our own...

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I just heard of a terrible accident where Mike Obermeier died this
weekend. Apparently he was on a transmitter hunt when somehow the Jeep
rolled 150' down an embankment. As soon as I can gather some more
details I'll post more info.

Thanks for the link Randy.

Mike was a great guy and fun to hang around with. He will be greatly missed. If anyone has any information about funeral/service arrangements please post here as I will make my best to make sure that I can go and pay respects. I hope that as SoCal chapter we can make an appearance to honor his memory during the services.

RIP Mike

That is tragic, I am very sorry to hear about Mike. I don't believe I ever had the opportunity to meet him, but I will keep his wife and child in my prayers. I know what they are going through and it makes me heartsick.

Bent said:
That is tragic, I am very sorry to hear about Mike. I don't believe I ever had the opportunity to meet him, but I will keep his wife and child in my prayers. I know what they are going through and it makes me heartsick.

Bent, you might have met him at Oggi's in Orange at the MnG. I believe you both were there. He was the bald guy in the wheelchair.

He was the friendliest guy and yep he had some great stories. He will be missed.

I just heard the news today while i was in class where mike worked and taught. Everyone at the studio is taking it really hard, as so am i. He was the reason why i got back into off roading and purchasing my jeep. I learend alot from him, not only from about my cherokee or camera work, but from not letting things get in my way or stop me from what i want to do i life. Thursday is when we will find out when the funeral service will be held. I will post up the info when i first recive it. It was fun the night i went over to his place and helped him work on the jeep.
I would like to see a jamboree be held in his name but i have no idea where to begin. If anyone has questions that would like to be asked, let me know and ill see what i can come up with.
You will be missed Obie!

:(

Mike was a really good friend of mine. We emailed nearly every day and talked on the phone often.. he was just over at my place last weekend exchanging parts so he could put his jeep back together.

On top of amatuer radio and jeeping, Mike was a teacher - college level AV stuff, and one of the most sincere people I have ever met.. and I've met a lot of people.

He's one I'll never forget.

I only met Mike a few times at MnG's. He was one of those people who you would want to get to know better.

karstic said:
I only met Mike a few times at MnG's. He was one of those people who you would want to get to know better.

Indeed.

I've just canceled my plans for tonight, and think I'm going to head over to the old ship to put a pint down to his memory.

If anyone cares to join me drop me an email or call and we can work out a time, although I'll probably be there most of the evening.

cal said:
Indeed.

I've just canceled my plans for tonight, and think I'm going to head over to the old ship to put a pint down to his memory.

If anyone cares to join me drop me an email or call and we can work out a time, although I'll probably be there most of the evening.
Depending how many I will have when I get home I might or might not be able to join you..... this is really a shock!

Kejtar said:
Depending how many I will have when I get home I might or might not be able to join you..... this is really a shock!

yeah.

people always say "it couldnt have happened to a nicer guy".

well thats the f*n truth. there isn't a nicer guy.

I wish I could join you Cal but we have a HOA meeting tonight. drink one for me and pour another for Mike O

djblade311 said:
Bent, you might have met him at Oggi's in Orange at the MnG. I believe you both were there. He was the bald guy in the wheelchair.

He was the friendliest guy and yep he had some great stories. He will be missed.

That was him? Damnit! He was quick to earn my respect, next to him we all seemed like a bunch of whiners. I was seated next to him, what a great guy.

What a loss of such a nice guy.

I'd spoken to him at three M&G and he always had a smile on his face.

How very sad.

i never met the man but i had occasion to pm him i believe, but my father is a hammer as well and spoke with him often, when i informed my father of our mutual loss, ( NAXJA and hamming ) it seems mike just helped to pull a father and son closer together, always helpfull. thanks Mike and may God smile on you in the next life.

Back