• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise please help

sandaholic

NAXJA Forum User
Its on a 1999 xj and Im getting a "clunking" sound when the wheels get turned.At first it was only when moving but now ocasionally it will do it sitting still and turn the wheel back and forth. So far I have already replaced the wheel bearing's, upper and lower ball joints, Axle shaft u-joint's and trac bar. I have also taken to a shop where the mechanic couldnt figure it out either. All the tie rod end have no play in them and Im just stumped. I also took off the diff cover and changed gear lube and all the gears look good. Its got me worried because I put my kid's in this vehicle.
Sorry about the long post I just wanted to give as much info as possible.
Thanks for any help

My 88 had a similar problem-- I believe it was actually the top mounting bracket for the trac bar-- I thought it was the TB itself so I replaced it... didn't solve the problem... investigated further and I could see the connection was loose on the bracket side. Unfortunately I sold the jeep before getting a chance to fix it. (I told the new owner about it, don't know if he ever fixed it or not).

Get under the Jeep and have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth. Listen and feel around with your hands until you find the clunk. Just be careful not to pinch your fingers.

Mine was a broken sway bar link. Clunks when the affected side was loaded and unloaded in turns and bumps. A quick look around found the top bolt connection broken. Easiest repair I've done in a while. Other side did not want to come off so I'll do it when it breaks as the links are sold in pairs where I got them.

xjohnnyc said:
Get under the Jeep and have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth. Listen and feel around with your hands until you find the clunk. Just be careful not to pinch your fingers.
I tried that but it doesnt make the clunk untik its moving

8991XJ said:
Mine was a broken sway bar link. Clunks when the affected side was loaded and unloaded in turns and bumps. A quick look around found the top bolt connection broken. Easiest repair I've done in a while. Other side did not want to come off so I'll do it when it breaks as the links are sold in pairs where I got them.
Nope its not that either I just checked but I appreciate the help this is driving me nutz...

Dunno if this wil help but seems like u checked everything I thought of. But on my wife's '92 2wd it did that and was the upper control arm bushings.....just my .02. Good luck!

Mine was making a clunking sound when turning, mainly while driving, wound up being the track bar bracket on the frame. It's easy to do, get under it and tighten the piss out of the bolts and see if that fixes it.

mine was doing that too.... just figured out that it was the crappy sway bar disconnects i have... try disconnecting them and see if the noise is still there.

to really test the trackbar bracket pyull the ol XJ next to a curb really tight so your tire is touching and start turning the wheel back and forth if you hear the noise have someone else do it and look and that mount. It may just be loose or the mount itself may be flexing. That sound is really $hitty and it sounds like a creak pop you name it good luck

dont know if this is it for sure but last weekend i worked on my front axle looking for the clunk i have as well when turning and when under load like entering a driveway or going over a bump. i saw that the pass. side sway bar link bracket was crooked. i followed it and its just held on my short welds. i cranked up the welder and welded the sway bar link tabs more completely and the sound went away. i think on mine these piece were flexing just enough for something to get hit. its amazing how factories try and save money. i think the bracket was about to bend off. there was not much of a weld holding it on the axle.

Back