• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Taurus Fan

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
I have aquired a 2 speed Ford Taurus electric fan that I plan on installing on my 1986 XJ 2.5L. I am wondering if anyone else has do it and what the best fan controller would be.

I would really like some input on what fan controller would be the best to buy since I plan on installing the fan as soon as a buy a fan controller and new alternator.

Did you get this done? I ask because I'm looking at doing the same thing. My jeep is the same as yours, and I think it would free up a little horsepower... plus my fan clutch seems to be seized up (always on, no more free-wheeling when engine is cold)

How thick is the Taurus fan? I was under the impression that this mod worked in Grand Cherokees and Wranglers, but the XJ doesn't have enough room between the engine and radiator.

There are a few thin high-flow radiator fans on ebay that are sufficient however-

Most folks indicate the best controller is by www.dccontrol.com/.

I'll be installing mine within the nexe month or so.

Hope this helps,
Kent :)

Just did this mod a few weeks ago on mine. I used a fan relay kit from Jeg's that was about $40. I use it to run the low speed off of a temp switch. I ran the high speed independently off of another relay. I have to use the temp switch or my engine will never get over 120 degrees! Oh yeah, this is on a 2000 4cylinder XJ

I have mocked mounted it but I haven’t installed it yet. I was looking for a nice controller to use that takes little attention from the driver so my Jeep runs at a good temp without any manual input. I would have no problem if I had to manually switch it on and switch speeds but when I have some chick or other person driving my Jeep I don't want any trouble. Right now as a college student I am low on cash and my Jeep needs tires. For the summer I am planning on bastard pack, RE 3'' coils, Rocky Road track bar, Rocky Road disconnects (if money allows), Doetech Tech DT3000's, YJ brake lines, Maxxis Metal Masher Brake Pads, Reybestos Brake Shoes, and some 32x11.5 BFG AT (MT if money allows). This will exhaust my funds and have me eating rice and ramen next year. To do the fan I need a controller, Delta current looks good, and a new alternator to handle the increase in current so the project got put on the back burner for now.
CameronB, the stock clutch fan will spin even when cold but it isn't at full lock, I had mine go bad once to where it stayed at full lock and at about 3000 rpms the Jeep sounded like a jet taking flight. If you have the fan and money go for it and let me know how it goes. I got my fan for $15 bucks at the yard in Atascadero.

Take it from experience.....make a fool proof system; and dont fawk with that! So that it wouldnt cycle, I killed the e-fan via the fording switch while off with my best squeeze on a recent Saturnday nite bar n band date.......forgot about it 'till I drove too far on the way home. Now I not only have to re-wire the circuit to ignition on I need a radiator and I hope thats all! '92 4.0 two Taurus fans and I'm working out the wiring this weekend 'cuz my new rad is on the way! I am hoping to use an AdvanceAuto controller and a couple of relays with the OEM e-fan wire to engage the high speed range. Good luck, Mike

Back