• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a roof rack recommendation

Vox Fatalis

NAXJA Forum User
The bumper-mounted tire/hi-lift jeep rack on my XJ MUST GO... I use the rig often and swinging out the spare tire and hi-lift jack is a real pain.

I've seen a lot of XJ's in town with roof racks that mounted the spare tire and hi-lift jack on them. I was wondering if people could offer me recommendations for decent roof racks?

Thanks!!

hmm, do you want the rack to double as a slider? i'd go with conferr... or if weight is an issue, surco is a good rack i've heard.

-b

shimmy said:
hmm, do you want the rack to double as a slider? i'd go with conferr...

-b

Con-ferr is no longer. As for sliders, are you sure you didn't mean Olympic's Top Hat?

BTW, there's a nice ARB rack for sale in the NWC FS/Wanted section. :)

ECKSJAY said:
Con-ferr is no longer. As for sliders, are you sure you didn't mean Olympic's Top Hat?

oh yes yes. farmer matt too. those ARB's are like over a grand new. sounds like a decent deal from crooked.

ECKSJAY said:

Thanks for the plug ecksjay.

Let me know if you are interested Vox. Well nevermind, It just sold. He is picking it up in a couple hours--Sorry about that.

Good luck

Last edited:
goodburbon said:
I'll trade you, I f'in hate having a roof rack and I want a rear mounting of some sort.

Hmmm... possibly. :) But I'm only parting with the swing out parts, the bumper rocks and will be staying. What I have is the C4X4 XJ bumpter with the swing-away tire mount and Hi-lift jack mount. I'm looking for a bolt-in-the-stock-location roof rack that has spare tire and hi-lift mounts.

And isn't Louisiana a bit out there for a trade? ;) I'm game, depending on what you got, and setting the expectation that I'm not getting rid of the actual bumper (just going to put the d-ring brackets on in place of the swing-away).

Cheers,

Lance
'99 XJ - offroad toy
'05 KJ CRD - commuter

I got the Surco about 2 weeks ago and like it 45"x60"...$159 from Summit and $39 for the mounting hardware...free shipping...$9 handling fee

Its a Kargo Master Safari rack, and it would have to be dissassembled to be shipped there. It has the gutter rail mounting kit and hi-lift mount on it, but I think they sell a kit to mount it up to the o.e. rails.

I'm running no swaybars on about 5.5 inches of lift and I feel a huge difference with that thing up there, also watched my mileage drop. I love the look, but I can't stand what it does to my COG on and off road with a 33" MTR and Hi-Lift up there.:(

It is not in perfect condition, there is a bend in the rear main crossmember where I stood to tie down my spare, and one of the original bolts worked its way out so I replaced it with some stainless hardware I had. I would understand if you don't want it because of this, it's where my disappointment began.

I know it would just be the tire carrier, that would give me incintive to fab up a bumper.:D

while we're talking about roof racks, i just picked up a lightbar, but am debating whether or not to get a roof rack and ditch the bar or not. i have the opportunity to buy a conferr rack for $100 but am not sure if i really need one or not. what do you guys think?

JrTxJ said:
while we're talking about roof racks, i just picked up a lightbar, but am debating whether or not to get a roof rack and ditch the bar or not. i have the opportunity to buy a conferr rack for $100 but am not sure if i really need one or not. what do you guys think?

thats a SSHHWWWEEEET deal bruddha!

I'm the one that nabbed the ARB rack that was for sale by CrookedletterD, and yikes! That thing is beefy! Haven't really had a chance to put it to good use yet, but I love it already. Would definately recommend ARB as far as roof racks go.

you think opening the tire carrier is a pain, wait till you have take that spare and the hi-lift up and down a few times....

mack said:
you think opening the tire carrier is a pain, wait till you have take that spare and the hi-lift up and down a few times....

Heh... I have this cool step thing for my receiver hitch that makes it easy to step up to the back, and I move 60-110 pound servers on and off racks in my current job, so I think I'll be good to go. :D

It's a bigger PITA to try to open the back when I am attempting to get band gear out at a show. For me, the necessity probably outweighs the pains.

I have a Surco on my 01 works great ,have my spare and hilift on it.
glxj11.jpg

jeffs-napa.gif

Got it from Summit Racing Im using the j100 rail mounts you can also get the gm100 gutter mounts. I like the j100 mounts and used my factory cross bars and mounted the rack to them as well.
55e7.jpg

67de.jpg

Not my jeep but what I did.

My lights are mounted on the front of the rack with Surco light mounts and the rear lights on homebuilt. They are simple to make.
Homebuilt rears
Photo001.jpg

Surco Mounts

sur-lt100.jpg

Back