• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

904 Auto question

Grizzley

NAXJA Forum User
I've got the 2.8/904 set up in my 84. Every once in a while when the tranny has warmed up I have a problem going into reverse. It almost feels like it doesn't come out of drive and tries going two directions at once, stalling the engine. If I remember to put it into neutral for a few seconds, before reverse, it will usually behave. Been having this problem since I tore the middle of the flex plate off because of loose tranny to engine bolts. Thanks in advance for any help.

How is your fluid level? Is there a chance that it is overfilled?

I have heard that trannies do this if they are overfilled?

DUH! I never checked it cause it came from the tranny place and it started happening right after that. Too trusting I guess. I'll have to go out and check later to see. If it is overfilled, I'll admit that I screwed up and didn't double check them.

Might just be a badly-adjusted linkage, or worn bushings in the linkage.
I have the same engine/tranny combo.
The neutral safety switch is pretty touchy, too; if just a little bit off, the engine will crank in Park but not in Neutral.

Return to the shop and tell them the problem.
They would want the opportunity to adjust or repair something now, rather than be blamed after something breaks.

Well, it wasn't over full. But thanks for the heads up on that.

Rix, I had a problem with worn bushings and had taken care of it before I had the problem with the engine to tranny bolts. That's what kills me, is I was under there and never thought to look or noticed that they looked funky. Cost me for them to pull everything and replace the flex plate. Not sure I want to take it back there. Had the work done about a year ago and have had the XJ off the road since then for a tank leak and other little things that I had to fix for inspection. When I first got it back it wouldn't run. They pulled the distributor, I think, too get the angle to drop the tranny, and got it in wrong and I think, fried it. I started from the beginning and retimed it and still couldn't get it to run. Got another distributor and it ran. Didn't get much out of them when I talked to them, so I think I'll pass for now.

Other thing is, every one of us knows the smell of all the fluids used in these things. (Don't bother with the remarks guys) I took white paper towels down to check the level so I could check the color and it is a really clear pink, and smells kind of like kerosene. So, considering I really haven't driven it much on what's in there (if they added something), I think I'll change everything a few times tomorrow. to flush everything out of the convertor, and see if things improve.

Back