• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf PacK? Help

mylucky24

NAXJA Forum User
I have 3" blocks in the rear. I have a buddy that says that its ok to run the blocks that big in the rear. He drives a like a 76 f350 on 44's and he has 3 blocks on the front and says that it is fine. He alos tells me that i will get better flexing with the blocks. I told him about the bastard packs and he said it will ride really stiff. Im not shure who to believe or what to do. I dont mind doing the bastard packs. I just want to get about 3- 3.5 inches of lift. What should i do?
Also do the bastard packs run stiff and how do they flex?

Thanks
Ross

I would bet that if you did a search for leaf springs, leafs, spring packs, Dakota leafs. . . . that you would find your answer and get a new buddy to listen too!

There are so many threads on this setup, and many writeups on how to do it properly. I did mine using extra YJ Wrangler leafs and I love the ride and the flex.

Guys with broncos and fords and chevys can run blocks without much trouble because they have much stiffer spring rates. Cherokees cannot (or at least should not) run 3" blocks. So he's right in that his truck will be fine, but for you it's a bad idea. BLocks will not help flex at all, will wear your springs down, and will ride like a brick.
Most people do not recommend more than 1" blocks for cherokees.

Chris

I posted this yesterday about blocks

cracker said:
With 8-9" of lift a 1.5" block is better. Leafs flex better when they are flat(ter). In order to get 9" of lift with leaf only, you would need a crazy arc to the leaf that would not flex at all.

I am that guy with 8-9" of lift. I have 1.5" lift shacles, 1.5" block, and 5.5" leafs. I can flex really well now.

I have tried 8" leafs and I couldnt get them to budge at even with a fok lift!

BUT with 3" lift, I would suggest a 1" block and a 2" shackle. It would be a LOT better than 3" blocks in your application.

Dunno if it helps but just more info for you to look at. Good luck!

Doesnt matter what kind of truck I have, no way I would run 3" blocks on the front. Matter of fact, I think blocks on the front are illegal in WV.

mylucky24 said:
I have 3" blocks in the rear. I have a buddy that says that its ok to run the blocks that big in the rear. He drives a like a 76 f350 on 44's and he has 3 blocks on the front and says that it is fine. He alos tells me that i will get better flexing with the blocks. I told him about the bastard packs and he said it will ride really stiff. Im not shure who to believe or what to do. I dont mind doing the bastard packs. I just want to get about 3- 3.5 inches of lift. What should i do?
Also do the bastard packs run stiff and how do they flex?

Thanks
Ross

I do not know about your state but here in Michigan the state law says no blocks in the front and no blocks over 2 inches tall.

If you wish to go into 3-3.5 inches Dak-Pak is a good way to go. I run a 1.5 inch block and do the rest with the Dak-Pak. It is stiffer than stock but still flexes pretty good. When you think about it... it is moving from stock XJ springs to stock Dakota springs....

3" blocks in the front of his truck?
Like mentioned before.. stop listening to your buddy.
S-10 or Dakota packs will do fine. Running S-10 packs in mine and have no problems except its a little stiff. Works good for hauling around a bunch of gear and pulling a camper.

mylucky24 said:
I have 3" blocks in the rear. I have a buddy that says that its ok to run the blocks that big in the rear. He drives a like a 76 f350 on 44's and he has 3 blocks on the front and says that it is fine.

When you see your buddie spit his blocks out you will see the ligh. The easyest pack is to take you main xj leaf and combine it with the leafs of the dakota pack. I rode in a jeep with this suspension it is not rough at all.... I had aal in my stock xj pack and it was stiffer then b4 but still axle wrapped with 2" blocks. And that was behind the 4 popper....

I have seen to many blocks popped out . A 2'' block would be as high as I would go . make sure your spring perch sits flat with the block and doesnt rock.I've had good luck using yj main and cut the eyes off.add as many other springs in to get hieght you need. shackle s etc...

i dunno if this is been covered but if you plan on running that big of blocks in the rear....the blocks will cause axle wrap and i don't htink anyone wants anything to do with that....i ran 3" springs, 1" block, and 2" shackle and im sittin just a sinch over 5"....it works

Back