• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is removing ABS from a vehicle illegal for inspections?

xjaholic

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Dana 44 I'de like to stick in my 2001 Sport, but I want to make sure I won't have problems getting it inspected if I pull all the relays and fuses once it is installed. I'm in Texas, and I have looked up the DPS inspection list for inspections, but it only says inspect the brake system. Will it fail or pass if the ABS is left under the hood, but it has been modified?

You should be ok. I have a friend in Denton, TX who swapped an 8.8 in his tj with ABS as well, and he hasn't had a problem passing inspection.

I don't see how removing something that was optional from the factory could be against the law.

But if you have an accident your insurance company could deny the claim.The VIN number tells whether your vehicle has ABS or not!

RCP Phx said:
But if you have an accident your insurance company could deny the claim.The VIN number tells whether your vehicle has ABS or not!

not true that is only if you claim the ABS discount.........and that the lack of ABS contributed to the accident.......or so Im told by the insurance dept

So If I tell my insurance company that the ABS is bad on the Jeep and to remove the 1 buck difference from my insurance, then all will be okay? What about adding the disc to the rear if the axle originally had drums? No problems with the inspection either? I want to get the axle built with 4.56 gears and I can always add disc brakes to it later...I figure baby steps first on safety.

Do you really think that some insurance guy is going to come out after an accident and tear down your vehicle, looking for aftermarket parts?
Do you really think your insurance adjuster would have any idea what kind of axle or brakes you have?
Can anyone honestly say they have firsthand knowledge of anything like that ever happening?

Comon, people. Am I the only one that sees the absurdity in this problem?

For some odd reason Maine just passed a law that made it illegal to remove ABS, or so I've heard.

I am sure they don't tear it down, but I would think they might do an inspection of the vehicle if it were involved in an accident, and seeing that the relays and the fuses are pulled on the ABS system might cause a problem. I really don't know what happens when you wreck a vehicle...never had an accident, and never had a claim.

kid4lyf said:
Do you really think that some insurance guy is going to come out after an accident and tear down your vehicle, looking for aftermarket parts?
yes.

kid4lyf said:
Do you really think your insurance adjuster would have any idea what kind of axle or brakes you have?
yes.

kid4lyf said:
Can anyone honestly say they have firsthand knowledge of anything like that ever happening?
yes

kid4lyf said:
No.

My family is in the body shop business, having worked with about one hundred and sixty shops. I wouldn't call an occurance like that common, but it happens. Insurance companies are getting "wiser" to modified and lifted 4x4 vehicles (mostly due to disco trucks), and indeed are starting to look for things like that.

I had to change insurance for Jan/1, as my old provider no longer offers liability insurance on lifted vehicles. They were good about it, when it came time to renew my policy they asked if it was lifted, and said they would not renew (gave me 30 days to find a new policy) and offered to let me keep my multi car discount if I left my other vehicle with them on a stand alone policy.

-C

I would think that the suggestion above about telling your insurance company that the ABS is disabled, so they dont' give you the ABS discount, would be a very good idea, just in case. If they try to give you crap, just tell them that the ABS pump broke and it was cheaper to remove the whole deal than to fix it!

kid4lyf said:

actually its not absurd...I used to do some insurance adjusting and yes they do train adjusters to search for contributive cause.......I took several of the courses through AETNA, and CNA. Their job to to find ways to pay out as little as possible

I own a business with several trucks on the road.
I have two teenage sons and an ex-wife who drives everything like she stole it.
As a teenager myself, I was involved with several mishaps.
In short, I've dealt with more accidents than I ever imagined I could.
I've never seen or heard of an adjuster giving anything more than a cursory lookover.
Certainly never popping the hood to look for missing relays or sliding under the vehicle to check out what kind of axles it had.
They usually only come out to make sure the repair quote is on the level.

Sure, If you have a completely tubed out buggy it would raise some eyebrows but to worry about them checking your ABS relays is rediculous.

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
Sure, If you have a completely tubed out buggy it would raise some eyebrows but to worry about them checking your ABS relays is rediculous.

Maybe in Indiana/Illinoise that's very true.

I put a Dana 44 in my 91 and removed the ABS at the same time. No problems passing TX inspection.

My insurance company gives NO discount for ABS - the agent says statistically ABS doesn't make any difference. I won't argue the point (in my case, the removal of the old Bendix ABS system, and it's replacement with a 95 booster and larger Dana 44 brakes was a significant improvement).

Adjusters experience and personalities vary, some are helpful and others are a pain.

cal said:
Maybe in Indiana/Illinoise that's very true.
So, you've had an insurance adjuster get under your hood, poke around the wireing, and open the ECM to check to see if your ABS is functional?
Or slide under your XJ to see if you've installed an 8.8?
I call :bs:
Even out there in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

kid4lyf said:
So, you've had an insurance adjuster get under your hood, poke around the wireing, and open the ECM to check to see if your ABS is functional?
Or slide under your XJ to see if you've installed an 8.8?
I call :bs:
Even out there in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

not all those but youcna tell if the wiring to the axles is missing and/or not functioning, tone rings can be seen with the wheel off. If your insurance company knows you have a modded rig and says nothing then they cover claims, If they dont know you have modded it for off road use, and have not been notified then you might have a fight on your hands...check your policy

Geico actually refuses to insure the modified MJ we have, and have exclusions in the policy agains loss....if you are with geico might be time to change.....We have rigs under 2 policies geico for most and california casualty for my junk

Im a state inspector here in tarrant county. I know a few months ago Round Rock(Williamson County) is now required to have emmissions testing. The abs light is not part of anything emmissions related, although if its doesnt stop from 20mph in 25 feet then it would fail the safety portion of the inspection. If its 1996 and newer than its OBDII and your abs may pop up and fail it but I doubt it. If it does than tell them to dyno it and it will pass inspection. If you have any ?'s call me cell (817)564-4687 Chris

Back