• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Problem. no gauges, dome, radio

imprtfightr

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 98 Cherokee

The gauge panel lights up and all lights on it work, but none of the mechanical gauges work. The dome light doesn't work and the radio isn't working. I have check fuses and relays. Wiggled wires.

I found there is switched 12 at the left harness to the gauges and at the radio. No other power. The dome has nothing.

I am guessing they all run on a circut togather, and wherever they get power from is not giving power. I did notice a lot of fuses had no power to them on either side. None were blown.

I am pretty good at auto electrical, but I am completly lost.

I haven't noticed any other symptoms. HELP!!!!!!

Do you have a standard trans? If so check master cylinder.

That can make fuses act weird, there will only be power at the fuses with the key in the on position.

I have a manual, but what do you mean? Check the actual master cylinder? The clutch is fine. Shifts fine. Or do you mean the electrical for the master cylinder?

ok read his tread again and you will understand its a 98 and only the late model xj had the fuse box below the master cylinder on the drivers side.the newer model xjs have it on the pasenger side behind the kick panel.

un screw the fuse box and use a test light after evauating if anything looks wrong.using the test light chect the power in to the fuse box then woork your way from there.when the test light doesn't show ppowere that is where the proble is so you then need to evaluate what could be causing the issue at hand my thought is that some how you have burnt the conection some where on the row of fuses in that section.

remeber its a jeep and further more a cherokee it will always have wireing problems and its mostly because of the crapy ground system jeep used.

my .02
william

I fixed my problem!!!

Found it last night after about 3 hours or wire searching and testing. There is a pink wire in the harness, that runs from the underhood fuse panel, into the cab in the upper pass side corner of the firewall. The wire was brokenin the grommet. I tested inside and found it was like 7 volts, but by the outside fuse panel it was 12. Then I cut open the harness and tested until I found it. It was a tiny little spot that was coroded. The wire was actually bumped up right there.

Back