• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy Usa vs. Superior Gear

guther66

NAXJA Forum User
From what I have gathered the two are pretty much the same. Is there any thing that I might have possibly missed that sets one apart from the other?

superior

=

picture.JPG

What else is there to be said? 2 broken shafts in 2 days. The stockers held better. Alloy USAs were the replacement. They looked way beefier.

matt

Superiors are also very expensive. Yukons are about the cheapest alloy axle shafts. I have them with 37's and they are holding up well on 2 Rubicon trips and 1 to Hollister. They were $325 for inner and outer, both sides for a hp44 full width and $395 or so for 35 spline 9" axle shafts. I'd try Alloy USA if the price is right and they are good. Paying alot doesn't always guarantee you a good product.

Scrappy said:
superior

=

picture.JPG

What else is there to be said? 2 broken shafts in 2 days. The stockers held better. Alloy USAs were the replacement. They looked way beefier.

matt

Stop using my bandwidth! :D

Here's an Alloy USA shaft that only had two trails run on it...
picture.JPG

To be fair, anything can break. I've been running Superior shafts in my Dana44 for over three year and haven't broken one yet(knock on wood).

Jes said:
To be fair, anything can break. I've been running Superior shafts in my Dana44 for over three year and haven't broken one yet(knock on wood).

Now you've done it!

so...what was the responce from Alloy USA? I got the BIG f%^& off from Superior when I broke mine. I now have Alloy USA axles but not a problem yet.

You guys are so funny.

Little bit of perspective:
Ricks was on this rig for about a year. (?) Running 35's. Not sure how old the shafts were before that, but this rig was basically built last fall. Driven hard.
standard

Led's rig on 37's.
standard

Hard to compare the two, but I would venture to say that Rick's had just had it. Led's was probably just to much tire and action for 30 spline shaft.

Personally I think Alloy and Superior and pretty close to the same. Step down a notch for the Yukons.

Lincoln said:
Hard to compare the two, but I would venture to say that Rick's had just had it. Led's was probably just to much tire and action for 30 spline shaft.

I was there for both.
It was ample use of the right foot. ;)

I understamd that you all are running bigger tires and alxes then me but I had my 8.25 shafts cryo'd for 200 here in tulsa and never broke them and i broke both stock ones up waterfall at Disney,Ok befor I had the new ones put in since then I have had no problem w/33's and a welded rear.

Jes said:
I was there for both.
It was ample use of the right foot. ;)

I fear for your 44 when the stroker goes in:

300 ft/lbs x 3.9 x 5 x 5.13 = 30,000+ ft/lbs. :shocked:

CRASH

Lincoln said:
You guys are so funny.

Little bit of perspective:
Ricks was on this rig for about a year. (?) Running 35's. Not sure how old the shafts were before that, but this rig was basically built last fall. Driven hard.
standard

Led's rig on 37's.
standard

Personally I think Alloy and Superior and pretty close to the same. Step down a notch for the Yukons.

The first break was, IMO, "justifiable" as I was on the throttle, bouncing, trying to follow the Cat. Thats just asking for it :laugh3:

The second break happened with very little fanfare, and very little throttle. It just let go. The splines weren't twisted when it broke, at least they weren't the day before.

Just found 2 studs missing, and three studs bent on my new Alloy USA's shaft. Apparently the lug nuts loosened up, and I didn't notice it til the wheel was almost falling off. This was right at the end of Predator. I think this is due to the super long studs that Alloy USA uses, which kept the lug from tightening down on the wheel..............Either that or I'm just a slacker and should check stuff more often.

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Either that or I'm just a slacker and should check stuff more often.

Rick
You know thy self well, grasshopper:wierd:. IMHO most "alloy's" on the market seem pretty comparable. If it were me, I would buy on price rather than marketing hype. As Jes said, nothing in this game is bullet proof, but good carnage gets you the good chicks.

Rick XTRM XJ said:
The first break was, IMO, "justifiable" as I was on the throttle, bouncing, trying to follow the Cat. Thats just asking for it :laugh3:

I'd say it was already 90% broken from the AZ line at the end of Lower Big Johnson.

I don't think it matters what they made out of, or who makes them.........

...........as long as they're 35 spline.

:D

FarmerMatt said:
As Jes said, nothing in this game is bullet proof, but good carnage gets you the good chicks.

Could be wrong, but I think bigger shafts might have alot to do with it...

35vs30.jpg

Back to the subject at hand. Since I have been building axles I have noticed a few things regarding shafts. when I first got into it I sold based on cost. While I was at a great price level yukon, I could still get Superiors 1541h shafts for a better price so thats what I sold. but thats for a D44. in the 8.25 I found Yukons to be less expensive so thats what I sold. Then came Alloy USA. Pricing was better on the D44 shafts and made of CrMo 4130 alloy. Go figure you can get a stronger alloy shaft for a better price. But then someone has a pic of a snapped shaft.
They all break. First go for the strongest material then size and both if available.
I haven't done the math on it nor will I. But I am willing to bet that the Alloy USA 30 spline CrMo shafts are very near in strength to a 33 spline 1541h shaft.
between Alloy USA and Superior? They both feature the dual heat treatment. They first through harden the shafts then Case harden them. THey both have rolled splines vs cut splines that you get from the custom axle builders. then there is the dual bolt pattern.
it just so happens that Alloy is doing this with 4130 CrMo instead of the 1541h.
Spend what you want to spend, I'd go Alloy USA personally. Even though I have Superiors. (got em before AU).

Back