• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle advice... C8.25, D44 or 8.8

JAS

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning a rear axle upgrade.

I currently have d35 with 3.55 gears and 31-inch tires. I would like to ditch the D35 before it ditches me.

The end goal is for running 33-35 inch tires on a locked rear end geared for 4.56. I will be driving this for pleasure around town, and to and from the trails which will be 4 - 10 hours drive from my home.

I know the base options are 8.25, D44 and the Ford 8.8. I would like to do this as phases to help the old pocket book. While I can melt metal, and stick rods I hardly call it welding. I do not have the fab skills to weld perches on an axle with any kind of reliability.

I have priced out all of the parts to end up with 4.56 gears, Locker, with the C8.25, D44 and Ford 8.8. Because I can not weld myself I have $150 in the budget for the M.O.R.E. Brackets and $100 for the e-Brake cables and $150 for a shop to weld up the brackets. With the $400 extra for fab work the Ford is basically out of the running. I have also read tons of posts where people complain that even with 35’s the 8.8 is hanging pretty low. Again the 8.8 is pretty cool but I am not sure that it is the correct axle for me.

This leaves a 29 Spline 8.25 and D44 from an XJ

How many of you have broke 29.spline 8.25?

What kind of ground were you running on? Rocks, Mud, Slick Rock, etc…

How big were your tires?

What kind of tires were you running? Please give height and Width ...

I am currently thinking that for Michigan and Mid West (please read few hardcore rock trails) the 29 spline 8.25 will be fine. If I do break it odds are good that the D44 would have also broke. Then I should break the bank and get an 8.8. because a D44 is not that much stronger and not worth the extra $350+. That is more than half of my locker costs.

Is the D44 it worth that much extra cash?

Thanks

Jeff...

I have a 8.25(29 spline) currently with a no-slip. sitting on 35 bfg mt's. been running this set up two years no breakage, run everything from rocks to mud.

I have 29 spline 8.25" with Yukon shafts and Detroit locker. I have not broke anything(at least on the rear end), but I have only been running it for a few months. I am running 33x12.5" BFG muds. I do plenty of hard ground and rock crawling without trouble. I think the 8.25 sounds pretty well suited for what you want to do. They are quite a bit easier to find than the 44 and almost as strong. The 8.25 also has larger axle tubes...3" vs. 2.75". If you intend to go in stages....

1. Get a 29 spline 8.25...and bolt it in.
2. Gears and locker or posi
3. If locked...get a spare shaft or upgrade to some aftermarkets.
4. Go have some fun.

Remember...4.56 is the lowest set available for the 8.25...so make sure you don't want to go any lower later.

Also...33's are fairly safe as long as you don't hammer it on the rocks alot. 35's will be more of a gamble... but still okay if you're gentle.

im $500 into my 44 with discs, new bearings and seals.
dana44.jpg

discs1.JPG

im gonna get a aussie and ill be good to go.

8.8 is c-clip, have fun changing a shaft....

Since you expressed that you have little to no desire or want to fab up new brackets or move things around, a 29 spline 8.25 should fit your bill pretty well...they are litterally a bolt up item and might require only a little bit of modification to your driveshaft. They will stand up to a fairly good beating with 33-35's, locked...id carry a spare shaft just to be on the safe side though.

Pretty much like you already figured, all three will get the job done that you're looking for. Most that want to run 35's like alloy shafts in an 8.25, but you're likely OK with stock shafts in the terrain you'll be running.

The D44 is slightly stronger than the 29 spline 8.25, and the 8.8 is slightly stronger than the D44, both gears and axles in both cases. With no welding skills, the 8.25 or D44 is the way to go, and most likely cheaper to buy than an 8.8. So, just pick one, or buy what you can find.

Let met get this straight...

Over 153 people have looked at this post an nobody has broke an C8.25 under a Cherokee...

Anyway thanks for the posts.....

The 8.25 (97+ 29 spline) is a strong axle. It should hold 35s okay. I have an 8.8 I might put in when I go to 35s, but I don't know.

I'd seriously consider a 8.8 or D44... For these reasons: Deeper gears than the C8.25, Increased strength, More aftermarket support [thought the 8.25 has a decent following now], If you choose an 8.8 it will already have disc's on it...

I'd consider cutting off the spring perch's and welding new/stronger spering perches on them. You'll also be able to set your pinion angle without dealing with shims, and you can also relocate your shock mounts up higher and at the correct angle...

I currently have a C8.25, with discs - And while it is a great axle, and I haven't had any problems with it, I want to be able to run 4.88's, and that immediatly rules out the 8.25... The disc conversion was worth it, but having it already done [on the 8.8] is an added bonus... HTH

-Will

Still nobody with a broke 8.25 ???

I want a D44 but for the strength differance I am having a hard time justifing $500 + a rebuild for when the 8.25 are almost a dime a dozen..

did the posi come in the 8.25 as a towing option or is it in all and if i have a 91 c 8.25 with a posiis it a 27 spline?

Funny thing is, I think i've only heard of maybe 2. Yes the 29 spline 8.25 is stout. but 4.56 gear sucks with 35"s. If your even considering 35"s then go D44. watch the for sale forums and ebay. get it built before you install it. If your running much lift over 4.5" then your likely to have driveline vibs present so save up for an SYE. you can shim the pinion to the correct angle with an SYE but its better to weld it. Then again you can do the same with an 8.8. Even though you don't have a vib present with your current gearing doesn't mean that it won't become aparant with the gearchange which is very likely.

Re: Axle advice... C8.25,@44 or "8

Th`nk (eu `ll dr the @`vibe..*

I am glad to know that the 8.25 is not just a stupid idea.

I l`e the D44 because ht iR!not c-Bdip, anD"would suppnrt he 35's better... Although I thought that 31 would be the biggest thre `at I wpld run and now I al geDping the itch for 33-35 and it has been less than a year on 31's

I am very sure that I whll nct be going abo6d 35's I have no place for a 4bw rig or trailer... I have done that route and i just does not fit where I currently l(re. I qould have to sd`rt tha rotte fath an upgrade of the house...Plus I believe that x'js that run bigger than 35 b`ould do so on full width axles to provHle more stabilip on the off camber hills.

I will start my search...keeping an eye out for brh...If I find a D44 at` cheap price it will be mine. If not the 8.25 should work just fine.

Thanks

Jeff

Andy said:
How did you upgrade to discs? Is there a kit, or did you get a Liberty axle?

It is a common modification... ZJ Disc brakes [D35] will bolt on with little modification... The liberty axle hardware is supposed to be the same too, yet it is narrower than the C8.25 found in XJ's...

If you are thinking about adding discs to your C8.25 I'd highly reccommend taking a look at an 8.8...

-Will

Back