• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cabin air filter

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Someone, quite some time ago, either posted a writeup here or link to one that described how to install a cabin air filter in the cowl of an XJ. Despite searching here and Googling, I can't find it. If someone would be kind enough to point me towards it, it would be much appreciated.

casm said:
Someone, quite some time ago, either posted a writeup here or link to one that described how to install a cabin air filter in the cowl of an XJ. Despite searching here and Googling, I can't find it. If someone would be kind enough to point me towards it, it would be much appreciated.
Cabin air filter? as in clear the air going into the cabin? Ummm you're driving a jeep and there are plenty of other holes through which "unclean" air will get in.

whats under the cowl? i wanted to run my airfilter into that, kinda like an under hood snorkle, does anyone know it's got enough room with the wiper motor?

I have pulled the cowl off my 96 and there is room for some sort of a home brew setup.
I wanted to do something similar as well, but figured as has been posted, there are many entry places for dirty air.
It would help for the air cond/heater, but some work would need to be done to get the connection sealed and connected to the intake.

Good luck

Kejtar said:
Cabin air filter? as in clear the air going into the cabin? Ummm you're driving a jeep and there are plenty of other holes through which "unclean" air will get in.

True, but the idea's to minimise the amount that makes it in as opposed to eliminating it completely.

I ended up driving through a cloud of what I believe was cement dust (which I now get to spend the next several days vacuuming out). Although the windows were up at the time, the cabin blower was on full blast with the A/C off and thus *very* effective at saturating the interior. It'd be nice to not have to repeat the experience to the same degree if, God forbid, it happens again.

casm said:
True, but the idea's to minimise the amount that makes it in as opposed to eliminating it completely.

I ended up driving through a cloud of what I believe was cement dust (which I now get to spend the next several days vacuuming out). Although the windows were up at the time, the cabin blower was on full blast with the A/C off and thus *very* effective at saturating the interior. It'd be nice to not have to repeat the experience to the same degree if, God forbid, it happens again.
Run in the "recirculate" mode. I've found that it works pretty good on dusty trails and for the most part that's what mine is always on.

Kejtar said:
Run in the "recirculate" mode. I've found that it works pretty good on dusty trails and for the most part that's what mine is always on.

But it doesn't bring in *fresh* air. That's the downside. I hate stuffy vehicle cabins and would prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

mack said:
whats under the cowl? i wanted to run my airfilter into that, kinda like an under hood snorkle, does anyone know it's got enough room with the wiper motor?
I ran a hose from the cowl area to the filter box. Nothing really goes inside the cowl. JIM.

mask.jpg

If ya smoke, just cut a little hole and you're ready to go. If ya chew, yer on yer own.

Subaru and Volvo both have cabin air filtering systems in their vehicles. I'm not certain if it is a simple panel HEPA filter across the throat of the intake or something more elaborate.

Foresters for sure use them, not certain about which model Volvos. I'd look at any Subie "above" a Forester.

Let us know how you make out with this, very interested.

Bent said:
mask.jpg

If ya smoke, just cut a little hole and you're ready to go. If ya chew, yer on yer own.

LMAO

Back