• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust routing with a RK coilover?

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
After getting my project XJ I had real big plans, blah...blah...blah...., but they were put on hold for about a year. I have new finally gotten off my butt and started this project.

I have a gen II Rockkrawler LA kit with the rear four link, but I have been laying under the XJ trying to imagine how the exhaust will exit. Any pics or advice? I know the simple cheap way because thats how I have it done now as to allow clearance for the rear frame bracket. I guess a better statement is, I'd like a not really quite sound but don't want the droning sound that I have now. Between 2-3K rpm I have a terrible droning sound and makes driving in this range really suck. While this isn't a DD I will be driving to and from trails and would like as comfortable/quite ride as I can achieve given the mods.

What I have done to make room so far is have a cheapy 14" turbo muffler moved up to where the cat used to live and just run the rest of the exhaust out the back as normal.

Also while I'm asking; what did you do with the brake and fuel lines as far as routing and keeping them from chaffing(sp) when they past next to or through the brackets?

Thanks
Tom

i will try to get you a picture. But I cut the exaust out right before the cat. My cat went bad, so you could do it after. But I put a red hot glass pack and then just put a down pipe right before the rear axle. So it dumps underneith the car. It is definatly louder, but I dont care.

Gave mine to CarX with these instructions: "It has to start here and end there. You figure it out."
They ran it like stock to the cat, then down the center, behind the right rear shock, around the gas tank, and out the back.
They told me to choose between a cat or a muffler, can't have both.
I chose the cat. (Don't need a muffler to pass emissions)
I did wrap the pipe with header wrap where it got anywhere near the shocks and tank.
Works well, sounds great.

I thought about just the cat w/o muffler. How does it sound in terms of loud and drone? The drone is the problem I have now. I wonder if a resonator tip would stop the droning.

tompatjr said:
I thought about just the cat w/o muffler. How does it sound in terms of loud and drone? The drone is the problem I have now. I wonder if a resonator tip would stop the droning.
I like it, kind of a throaty rasp, but then, mines not a DD.

my muffler is more of a piece of swis cheese and less of a muffler... and i have nothing after it...

everyone asks me if i have a chevy350... i laugh...

Back