• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with my ignition, maybe?

Jeremycj7

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ and I tried to start it about a week ago and the starter would not turn over when I turned the key. Instead it shut down power to everything and reset the clock on my radio. after about ten minutes it decided to start working again for no reason. I decided to wait to see if it happened again and yesterday my wife was driving it and it attempted to abandon her at my inlaws house(which was a good choice on behalf of the cherokee) which it did the same thing. Ten minutes later it started working just fine. Since she already hates the XJ and wants to get rid of it, this really didn't help my battle there so I gotta fix it. My buddy seams to think it's the ignition switch, but I'm a little skeptical. Has anybody else had this problem?

Last edited:
I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals and making sure the main wires are in god shape ... I've had similar issues with ohter vehicles ... everytime it was corrosion on the battery terminals. a good cleaning and some copper antiseize (to prevent corrosion) solved it every time.
It that doesn't cure the problem, then look further up the line.

Devilfrog said:
I'd start by cleaning the battery terminals and making sure the main wires are in god shape ... I've had similar issues with ohter vehicles ... everytime it was corrosion on the battery terminals. a good cleaning and some copper antiseize (to prevent corrosion) solved it every time.
It that doesn't cure the problem, then look further up the line.
X2 the ignition switch would not cut all power, like to the clock.

Back