• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no insturments

LafaMJ

NAXJA Forum User
my guage cluster on my 89 MJ dosent want to work. My speedo works but all the other guages, Tach, temp. volt, oil, fuel. They all dont work right or at all. I checked the fuse and it doesnt appear to be blown i even replaced it. It lights up and stuff and the temp guage only moves through the red zone no where else. the oil guage only reads at the low mark and moves a 16th on an inch everyonce and a while. but the tach, fuel and volt dont work period. Any ideas?
Thanks

All the gauges have a common ground. Check and make sure the instrument cluster connector A3 is grounded. A8 is +12v and A3 is ground for all the instruments. This sounds like you may need to pull the cluster. Look under the dash for any loose wires, and double check the connector in the middle of the cluster to make sure it's seated first. Otherwise, pull the cluster and carefully inspect the solder joints from the connector to the plastic film circuit board on the back of the cluster. Chances are a loose connection, or cracked A3 solder joint since replacing the fuse doesn't change anything and you have some gauge movement.

Mark Wolfe
91 XJ

Re: no instruments

The fuel gauge grounds through the sending unit in the tank. The power to the gauges and the trouble (indicator lights) lights all comes from the gauge fuse (white wire with a black stripe). There may be a harness connector between the fuse block and the instrument cluster connector. I know there are some splices at the rear of the cluster connector, but don't really remember were they go.
A yellow wire from the igniting switch is the power, for the gauges fuse, the same wire also powers the back up lights (with the auto trans).

Back