• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Warantee

markw

web wheeler
NAXJA Member
ABS Warranty

New XJ owner here. Picked up a 91 Limited. Just started experiencing a Check Antilock followed by the brake lamp. I got the service and electrical manuals with it, and right now things are pointing at the abs pump. The pump runs when you power it up and doesn't shut off. Search of the internet reveals that I should probably scrap the abs, as it was nothing but a headache. However it does appear to have a Lifetime warantee on the pump and modulator unit. Has anyone taken a 14+ year old XJ into the dealer to get the ABS repaired? Am I in for a fight? What dealers around San Diego are good to deal with? Apparently there was a recall, and to cover their arses, Chrysler will fix this problem.

Second question which pertains to the first, is what dealers in the San Diego area are good to deal with? I swore off Chryslers due to warantee issues I had with a Caravan bought new, and my parents numerous problems with various Chrysler vehicles. The XJ was a smoking deal, so I jumped on it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
A co-worker had his repaired recently.Be prepaired to wait several weeks for a replacement pump.Other system parts are not covered.
No advice on Calf.dealers as I,m 3000 mi away.
Wayne

Re: ABS Warranty

markw said:
Search of the internet reveals that I should probably scrap the abs, as it was nothing but a headache.
Search around here and you'll see the same thing, along with a link on how to do it. Cost me a little over $100 to do the conversion to 95/96 non-ABS booster.

markw said:
The pump runs when you power it up and doesn't shut off. . . .However it does appear to have a Lifetime warantee on the pump and modulator unit.
Yeah, NEVER shutting off means it's bad, and THAT component should be covered. . . but that old ABS computer has a reputation for faulty diagnostics so if it "appears" something else is bad, be prepared to pay for that. . .

markw said:
Has anyone taken a 14+ year old XJ into the dealer to get the ABS repaired? Am I in for a fight?
No fight. Just a large bill. . . at least that was my experience. YDEMV (Your Dealer Experiences May Vary)

Ok, from what I've seen, and what the recall says. The pump and modulator assembly are under warantee for lifetime. Luckily this thing came with the factory service manuals. Looking at the ABS pump circuit, the pump is turned on by an internal pressure switch that has power applied when the key is on. So, the ONLY thing that will turn the pump on is low pressure. This is BAD from the get it fixed for free standpoint. :) The only things that will cause low pressure are leaks (I have none), and the pressure accumulator loosing it's charge. The accumulator only had a 10 year 100,000 mile warantee. So, I'll price that, and if it's too much, I'll check the local junkyards for pedal/booster/MC assemblies.

How many people here have done the standard brake swap out?

Ok, so after reading and googling, it appears that I need to get a 96 booster, and MC. The pedal assembly may need modified/replace with a 96 or 91 non-abs. Anything I'm missing? Conversion appears to be about $150-200 depending on how many junkyard parts I use. :) I'll probably go new on the MC, and get a booster and pedal from the junkyard.

On my 91 / ABS I DID need the new pedal - not the whole assembly - just the arm itself (a lot easier to remove just that). Also the rubber pad on the pedal won't interchange (old style is larger).

My donor was a 95 (maybe a late year model?) but it was the same as a 96. If you have no intention of using brake lines from the donor you can just cut them loose, it's fast and you get all the fittings. Master Cylinder / Booster / Portioning valve are all bolted together - get the whole thing, and the spacer behind it.

Also, I don't think the write-ups mention it but, the rear axle of the Dana35 calls for different brake cylinders in ABS and non-ABS systems. Call a decent parts house and you will find 2 different parts numbers. . . the non-ABS is a little larger.

I put in the junkyard parts and put the extra money into a nice brake job with the new cylinders on the rear axle. Oh yeah, the bleeder valve stripped on a front caliper so I did the front too. . .

Different approaches for the brake lines - but (once you get over the fact your life depends on it), it is basic plumbing. . . . Fittings changed between the 2 systems so, they are NOT simply going to bolt right up. I just cut the existing lines, bent to fit, slipped on the 95/96 fittings and reflared. Others either used fittings to adapt, or replaced lines. Some people have had problems the old lines breaking when they try to bend them, my rig is rust free, worked fine for me.

3XJFamily said:
On my 91 / ABS I DID need the new pedal - not the whole assembly - just the arm itself (a lot easier to remove just that). Also the rubber pad on the pedal won't interchange (old style is larger).

My donor was a 95 (maybe a late year model?) but it was the same as a 96. If you have no intention of using brake lines from the donor you can just cut them loose, it's fast and you get all the fittings. Master Cylinder / Booster / Portioning valve are all bolted together - get the whole thing, and the spacer behind it.

Also, I don't think the write-ups mention it but, the rear axle of the Dana35 calls for different brake cylinders in ABS and non-ABS systems. Call a decent parts house and you will find 2 different parts numbers. . . the non-ABS is a little larger.

I put in the junkyard parts and put the extra money into a nice brake job with the new cylinders on the rear axle. Oh yeah, the bleeder valve stripped on a front caliper so I did the front too. . .

Different approaches for the brake lines - but (once you get over the fact your life depends on it), it is basic plumbing. . . . Fittings changed between the 2 systems so, they are NOT simply going to bolt right up. I just cut the existing lines, bent to fit, slipped on the 95/96 fittings and reflared. Others either used fittings to adapt, or replaced lines. Some people have had problems the old lines breaking when they try to bend them, my rig is rust free, worked fine for me.

Planned on a full brake job, so I'll throw in some new rear wheel Cyls. Gotta call around junkyards today and find out about availabilty. I'm fearing every hard core off roader here in San Diego has probably done this, so parts will be hard to find in a junk yard. :) My XJ is a rust free socal one, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Ok, local yard has a 95 with booster, MC, prop valve, pedals. Pulling it when they open in the morning. $75 for everything. I'm under the impression that the 95 is the same as the 96? It's the dual Diaphram booster.

markw said:
I'm under the impression that the 95 is the same as the 96? It's the dual Diaphram booster.
That's how I understand it. If I recall, I called a parts store, asked them if they had a '96 booster, then had them cross reference it for a '95 and it was the same part number. It is huge compared to the booster in my '87 and other '91 XJ.

Back