• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Feb 2006

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Few of us went out to Calico early this year and had a blast, so we decided to do it again. Dates are Feb 11/12 and I just made the reservation for the bunkhouse for the 10/11 (it's good to arrive Fri night so that you can start on the trails early Sat).
Anyways if you want to stay in the bunkhouse give me a holler (it will end up being pretty cheap if you do so) or plan to make your own arrangements (there are cabins in Calico, but they sometimes go fast, so plan early).
Calico offers a variety of wheeling that satisfies the beginners and those who have been doing it for a while. Also there is Calico ghost town which is always a blast and on Fri night if you arrive before 6pm (I think it's 6pm) you can go on a ghost walk through the town (which is also pretty fun).

Last Year was sweet...Count me and the wife in! Save us a bed (or two if they're small).

Anyone who doesn't make it will be missing out.
Picture from last year...
eiw089.jpg

JohnX said:
Last Year was sweet...Count me and the wife in! Save us a bed (or two if they're small).

Anyone who doesn't make it will be missing out.
Picture from last year...
eiw089.jpg
They are bunk beds so I will put you down for two.

Why so far away? Time not distance...

Put me down for one, Remi. Lower Doran has gotten me twice. I need to conquer it. Now if I can only find a good spotter...

calico2.jpg

calico5.jpg

IMORTL said:
Why so far away? Time not distance...
It's kind of almost like an annual thing and in order to get the bunk house I had to do the reservation early (I originally wanted last weekend of January, but all of 06 was taken on weekends until 10th of Feb).

Come on Remi how about some advance notice so I can get the time off;) I don't know, it just won't be the same without that oven like 115 F temperatures and the angry Russian couple giving Remi the stink eye but I'll be there, I need to show Lower Doran who's boss.

Kejtar said:
It's kind of almost like an annual thing and in order to get the bunk house I had to do the reservation early (I originally wanted last weekend of January, but all of 06 was taken on weekends until 10th of Feb).

I was gonna ask you about that since we've always done it that last weekend...

I guess the new official calico event is gonna be then ;)

I should be able to make it, will have to look into a cabin I think for my clan.

Kejtar said:
Few of us went out to Calico early this year and had a blast, so we decided to do it again. Dates are Feb 11/12 and I just made the reservation for the bunkhouse for the 10/11 (it's good to arrive Fri night so that you can start on the trails early Sat).

So close to TDS........
But who can resist fun like this:
You got served...

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
Yay! Someplace in the middle! I'm so there!!! Made my reservations just now and got space A-4.

Anyways if you want to stay in the bunkhouse give me a holler (it will end up being pretty cheap if you do so) or plan to make your own arrangements (there are cabins in Calico, but they sometimes go fast, so plan early).
The down side is that the cabins aren't close to the bunkhouse or the full hookup areas. Then again, neither are the regular campsites in Sections C - F. The MAP makes it look like it's close by, but those sections are quite a distance from Section A.

The price difference between full hook-up and no hook-up is only $4. For those of you who are tent camping, might I suggest you opt for a full hook-up site in Section A. Bring a small portable heater to keep warm at night. That way, we'll all be close togetherin the same area.

Calico offers a variety of wheeling that satisfies the beginners and those who have been doing it for a while.
Ooooh. Afton Cayon on Sunday!

Also there is Calico ghost town which is always a blast and on Fri night if you arrive before 6pm (I think it's 6pm) you can go on a ghost walk through the town (which is also pretty fun).
Michaelle and I did it last year. Lot's of fun. She'll want to do it again. Anybody else up for it?

I will be joining you guys in Calico. Sound like a fun trip.

Reservations will be made tomorrow. They stop taking reservations @4:00 during the week so I missed out today. I will set up in the A section.

Thanks for the link!

Aaron

Andy Steiner said:
The down side is that the cabins aren't close to the bunkhouse or the full hookup areas. Then again, neither are the regular campsites in Sections C - F. The MAP makes it look like it's close by, but those sections are quite a distance from Section A.
The nice part about bunkhouse is that we can have a fire going for a long time and be somewhat louder than we'd be able to be at the main campground :D There is a huge firepit, a sizeable grill (if it didn't rust to pieces by now) bathrooms and electrical power (for late night control arm welding ;) )

Oh yeah, and ghost walk: maybe this year we'll be able to talk them into letting us stay at that motel in town :D

Kejtar said:
The nice part about bunkhouse is that we can have a fire going for a long time and be somewhat louder than we'd be able to be at the main campground :D There is a huge firepit, a sizeable grill (if it didn't rust to pieces by now) bathrooms and electrical power (for late night control arm welding ;) )

Oh yeah, and ghost walk: maybe this year we'll be able to talk them into letting us stay at that motel in town :D

This time Seqioua brings the welder! I'll still fix it but I'm not lugging my little beastie welder around anymore! Damn neer killed me when it almost came through my seat last year!

Kejtar said:
If that happens I might just hike there with a cooler and beers and enjoy the show ;)

And an umbrella :D

Back