• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP.. with torque converter bolt up

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled and replaced the motor in a 90 and now that the motor is bolted back in, how do I get the torque converter to turn so that I can line up the bolt holes with the flexplate?? With that daym tone ring on the flex plate I cant reach behind it and and even touch/fell the converter.

Help....

PS I knwo this is posted in three forums but I really need help by tomorrow morning as I want to finish this up tomorrow, so please...

ROBERTK said:
I just pulled and replaced the motor in a 90 and now that the motor is bolted back in, how do I get the torque converter to turn so that I can line up the bolt holes with the flexplate?? With that daym tone ring on the flex plate I cant reach behind it and and even touch/fell the converter.

Help....

PS I knwo this is posted in three forums but I really need help by tomorrow morning as I want to finish this up tomorrow, so please...

I'm trying to remember how Rabbit did it when we bolted up the aw4 to one of his jeeps. IIRC there is a small access hole through which you can get to one of the bolts and he was turning by the bolt heads. This might be on the money or way off, but it's the best I can offer at this point: might give you some ideas. Good luck.

Hope this is not too late...

I found a loner bolt that fits the torque converter, lilke an inch longer.
When you're putting the trans up to the block, about an inch away, start the longer bolt into the converter. This will give you a handle to pull on once the engine and trans are bolted together. When everything is tight, pull the converter up, take the long bolt out, and insert short bolt. Run it almost all the way up but leave it a little loose. Then, turn the engine like Brett M described, and get the other two bolts in. Once all the converter bolts are in, tighten them up to spec. Once that's all done, spend the rest of your day cussing and screwing with the trans cooler disconnect fittings.

Hope that helps someone!

Dan

Back