• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

patching a tire from the inside?

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
when i was out wheeling yesterday i was going through a larger mud pit when i got a flat tire. i thought i just hit a rock and blew it off the bead because i couldnt see any cuts in the tire. i put my spare on and drove it home. once i started to put air in the tire it immediatly reset itself on the bead and i could see to cuts about 3 inches apart and about 1/2 inch long. so is it possible to patch it from the inside. they are cooper discover a/t

thanks

Not if its on the sidewall. Not safe. Unless you use it as strickly for a spare to get you off the trail.

Is it leaking air? Did it cut into the sidewall cords?

Patching a hole in a sidewall has two issues. One is that it flexes a lot. There are butyl patches that work on sidewalls. Are they as good as new, no. Do the work, well I have run several over the years with no issues, but then again, I put them on and I know what I am doing. Most minimum wage tire busters don't have a clue.

The second problem is if you cut into the underlying reinforcement in the sidewall. It is bad when you do it on the tread, but way worse on the sidewall. If it is a simple puncture, with no cord damage, a patch can work if done correctly.

Back