• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L swap

No. The 2.8 is a Chevy pattern. A Camero 3.4 will bolt up though.

Search.

todd pipp said:
would it just be better to go with the 4.0l set up or go with the 3.4l and which has more power

No the 4.0 in a pre 87 is a apin in the butt, the engine bay is shorter prior to 87 the first year of the 4.0, like he said better off to swap in a 3.4 FI motor from a camero. easy to do jsut make sure you get the wiring and puter from the 3.4 donor car

Awright kids, play nice...

Actually, any V6-60 from a RWD Chevvy will work - which means F-body (Camaro/Firebird) and truck (S10/S15 and similar.)

There is also the option to install a SBChevvy plant - Advance Adapters makes a bolt-in mount cradle to accept it. Get a 4WD THM350, THM400, or THM700R4 and transfer case, have your new shafts made, and you're there. You can also swap in a stick if you really want to - you've got a few options that will bolt up behind the SBChevvy.

Or, get really nuts, and swap in a SB AMC (304/360/390/401, I think) and keep it AMC - which means finding an AMC transmission that will bolt up - A727, A904/999, or even AW4 will all work - any transmission from behind the AMC I6 will go in behind an AMC V8 - they use the same bell pattern, as I recall.

This really has been done around pretty good - pillage around, and see what you can see. "The search button is your friend. Know it, use it, love it."

"Once you have pulled the pin out of Mister Grenade, he is no longer your friend." (Couldn't resist - needed a humourous antithesis to the previous comment...)

5-90

what kind of power does the 3.4 lack as opposed to the 4.0. im in the middle of searching for an engine and trans for this kind of swap also. would i be disappointed by the gap in power after riding in a 4.0 on the trails for quite a while. also is it possible to swap a fuel injected 4.0 into a carb'd 2.8 jeep

Back