• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump repalcement

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
If anyone has any questions with water pump replacement, I just put a new one in my car, because I thought my old one was leaking, just the gasket.

This project is easy, once you do it and it's over.

My coolant was leaking for a good 2 months and I brought it to get it looked at because the brand new radiatior from my accident shouldnt be leaking, and they said it was the waterpump. Sunday, after work, my coolant was everywhere when i walked to my car, so I drove the min and a half home and parked it, decided to not fill the coolant and just do the project, not realizing what I was getting myself into. So i go out, get the pump, a new belt because mine was glazed and cracked, and some sealant, and called my buddy who "knows" what he's doin. Took out both fans, drained coolant, took of belt, took off pully, which was really hard, after a while of figureing out how, got the pump out. my buddy was rushing because he had somewhere to go, so he barely cleaned off the old matted gasket, i didn't notice this. Put the new pump on and then he left. i didn't know you had to fill the radiator directly if it was empty, so I turned it on after i filled the reserve tank and drove down the street. half way down everything died. started my car back up again, drove back to the house, shut it off, my car was smoking?!! so then the next day, 4th of july, i had another friend come over and help me fill it and inspect the work, and the brand new pump was leaking, becasue the gasket wasn't flush. I called my buddy who "knew" what he was doin to get over here and fix it, so he came, we pulled it all apart again, went out got a new gasket and did the job right... one pump, 2 gaskets, 4 gals of coolant, and 10 hours later, it finially ran. all in all, i basically did this job 3 times...

any questions on waterpump installation, ask me, i know everything now, even though i didn't really want to. and i didnt even need the new pump, the old one is perfect! now i have a pump i dont need....

DO NOT say that last sentence too loud or you will bring the ire of the jeep gods down on you....

ChandlerXJ said:
i didnt even need the new pump, the old one is perfect! now i have a pump i dont need....

I have an extra one now too. (replaced one & old one was good)
Just a start on the spare parts pile.
icon11.gif

Back