• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 Gauge Cluster

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
K, here is the deal. My cluster had some pretty faded needles on it. Don't know if the P.O. left it in the sun 24/7 or what. So I wanted to replace it eventually. Well I just scored a Police Edition Speedo from a '98, I have a '99. My only issue is the mileage. It has been established that it is stored in the cluster itself. No one has found a easy way to fix it either. John John was quoted like $1200 at the dealer to get it matched up. Another NAXJA Patron was quoted $60 from the dealer to have it sent out to be done. And yet another person was told $200 to have a speedo shop do it. So which is it? Has anyone ever actually gotten it done. All these threads were a few years old with no definite answers....................:dunno:

91 Jeep Project said:
K, here is the deal. My cluster had some pretty faded needles on it. Don't know if the P.O. left it in the sun 24/7 or what. So I wanted to replace it eventually. Well I just scored a Police Edition Speedo from a '98, I have a '99. My only issue is the mileage. It has been established that it is stored in the cluster itself. No one has found a easy way to fix it either. John John was quoted like $1200 at the dealer to get it matched up. Another NAXJA Patron was quoted $60 from the dealer to have it sent out to be done. And yet another person was told $200 to have a speedo shop do it. So which is it? Has anyone ever actually gotten it done. All these threads were a few years old with no definite answers....................:dunno:

$200 and up and you have to have the paperwork that justifies the need for it. I was ready to do it, but then I thought..... I'll claim that it's inaacurate in the first place :D

go to DMV and get an Odometer Discrepancy form. They will make a record of it tied to your VIN #. Cheap, verifiable, easy...and legal !

Kejtar said:
$200 and up and you have to have the paperwork that justifies the need for it. I was ready to do it, but then I thought..... I'll claim that it's inaacurate in the first place :D
Get out of here Remi, thats not the answer I wanted............. :laugh3:

And what kind of paperwork are we talking here??? Or is that what red was talkin' about???

91 Jeep Project said:

And what kind of paperwork are we talking here???
Something that proves the mileage that should be on the cluster. When I swapped in a full guage cluster into my jeep right after I smogged it (and had paperwork from the smog check with lower miles) they said that would be sufficient. I don't know what else they would be satisfied with: maybe a written and signed statement from you?

91 Jeep Project said:

And what kind of paperwork are we talking here??? Or is that what red was talkin' about???
It depends on the state. Kejtar is in CA, Red is in WA, you're in CO. In CT there is no form. There is a place on the back of the title where when you sell a vehicle you certify that the mileage is accurate -- or that it isn't. You don't even have to declare how much it's off -- as long as you don't certify to inaccurate mileage, "no harm no foul."

Check with your state's DMV.

Back