• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap Project few questions

Imjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I am purchasing a 4cyl 2wd 87ish comanche from a friend and have a wounded 92 6cyl 4wd cherokee. I plan on using the engine transmission and transfercase in the comanche. I was wondering How much wiring I will need to swap, will the Engine harness plug up with the body harness? Thats really the main question that I have for now. If anyone has any experience in this and has a few tips they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

Dacula92xj said:
I am purchasing a 4cyl 2wd 87ish comanche from a friend and have a wounded 92 6cyl 4wd cherokee. I plan on using the engine transmission and transfercase in the comanche. I was wondering How much wiring I will need to swap, will the Engine harness plug up with the body harness? Thats really the main question that I have for now. If anyone has any experience in this and has a few tips they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

take it all out....and use it all. that is all.

Body Harness and Engine harness need to be swapped?

I replaced the stock engine in my 89 MJ with the 92HO and removed the stock computer (replaced with an aftermarket unit - FAST). You definitly need to replace the engine harness and probably the dash (replace the complete 92 dash) . The underhood front harness is simple to replace from the 92. Id guess that splicing in the MJ rear harness to the 92 at the drivers seat area would be the easiest.

Thanks for the input, where could I get the aftermarket computer? Is that just something you did for performance? I'm trying to do all this on somewhat of a reasonable budget. The computer seems like a good idea but I have never priced anything like that. How involved is it to swap out the dash and blah blah, Is it all just basicly pulling it out and swapping parts? I just kinda want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks again.
Josh

The aftermarket computer is a FAST racing deal - not something you would need for a DD. The 92 computer will work just fine. removing the dash (as a complete assembly consists of two bolts into the door sils and a few at the top at bottom of windshield. As you have the 92 available to disassemble; learn on that and replacing the stuff in the MJ will be pretty easy.

Back