• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home depot coil spacers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
i got a set of 2in pipe couplings and was gonna see if they worked out as coil
spacers..

grp_coupling.jpg

im gonna insert the coupling where a normal spacer would go but i'll leave the stock little spring isolator to keep the spring in place...

will this work out alright, i now its not PROPER but i dont see y it wouldnt work...

please only serrious aswers, im tired of people on this forum that just like to posts jokes...and flames...

no joke here

pony up and get some coil spacers
ther are certain things on your lift that shouudnt be ghetto fabbed
and any =thing to do with the coils and springs are one of em

same goes for blocks in the rear yoiu are taking a real serious risk messing with
suspension
somethin goes wrong at 45 mph and you have got a real problem
now if its a trailer only rig then perhaps
and if it is
well then ya need to rethink the whole rig

just how are you planning to use these as coil spacers. put them on then put the isolator back on? i've seen much better home depot coil spacers before:D serious answers only right, you are a...biting my tounge...you just shouldnt do that

Ramsey said:
just how are you planning to use these as coil spacers. put them on then put the isolator back on?

wouldnt that work....??

by the way this just my daily driver so it stays on road..if that helps

also u said you've seen better home depot spacers?? any links??

hell no that wouldnt work. i was referring to some home depot acos(adjustable spacers) that have popped up on here before for sale and they were just as badly designed as your idea is thought out. dude cough up the few bones it costs for real ones and just use those i beg you.

first, I think this is a bad idea, when you can get isolators for under $30 if you look around...
but, dont they make flanges for pipe? kind of like a flat circle that threads in and has a few bolt holes.. that would provide more surface area for the spring to sit against. My issue is that, isnt that pipe kind of brittle in the way you will be using it? there will be vibration and what not of metal to metal.. I understand you wont be taking it off road.. but that just makes it worse..dont kill yourself.. get some isolators...

BrettM said:
depending on how they fit they may work just fine. what's the inside and outside diameter or the piece?
J.F.P.
They are F'ing pipe fittings, that is why it won't work!
DO NOT USE THEM!
If you want to fab up parts, start with a bumber or a tool box for the back.
Those who know me know I am one of the cheapest bastards in the world, I would never do something like that.
Put in another set of isolators from a junk yard or something, but for the love of God, please don't endanger your life or others by putting plumbing parts in your suspention!

Brett's rig is mostly made of plumbing items, so he's a bit biased.

CRASH

seanR said:
J.F.P.
DO NOT USE THEM!
Those who know me know I am one of the cheapest bastards in the world, I would never do something like that.
Put in another set of isolators from a junk yard or something, but for the love of God, please don't endanger your life or others by putting plumbing parts in your suspention!

If you can't afford $30 for REAL spacers, you can't afford to be doing ANYTHING to your Jeep. Look on eBay or in the For Sale sections here and elsewhere for REAL JEEP PARTS.

Ah, once again the tried and true Home Depot coil spring spacer. Here's another Home Depot idea you can try. It's been hashed on here more than once........HTH!
fakeacos2.jpeg

seanR said:
J.F.P.
DO NOT USE THEM!

I'm interested in seeing your data sheets on why a 3/8th walled cast steel cylindar has less load bearing potential than a chunk of nylon cutting board. If those are the black gas fittings I'd say they will handle it... I've seen them used as temporary replacement parts on Deere loader arms.

cassie,
The one flaw i can see is that you will still need a hard (read: steel) spacer between those and the isolator as it is just rubber and will wear through in no time.

seanR said:
J.F.P.
DO NOT USE THEM!

Whats a bumber? I think I need one of those..
So are plumbing parts ok for parts other than suspention? I am thinking that some black pipe, and t- fittings would make an uber nice track bar... oh wait I guess that suspension too.. how bout tie rods? Hmm, maybe copper, I am getting good at sweat connections..
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55885&highlight=conduit
If its good enough for this, its good enough for me.

YHGTBK....

not JWXJA approved. Injury will ensue. $25 for the real thing. Brought to you by...

JWXJA.jpg

Last edited:
Roll-over said:
I'm interested in seeing your data sheets on why a 3/8th walled cast steel cylindar has less load bearing potential than a chunk of nylon cutting board. If those are the black gas fittings I'd say they will handle it... I've seen them used as temporary replacement parts on Deere loader arms.

exactly.

if the ID fits snugly around the bumpstop tower, and the OD is the same or larger as the OD of the rubber coil isolator, it will work FINE. now it would be quite the coincidence if those dimensions happened to be correct...

Well I think the concensus says that this is just a wrong move! I wont beat a dead horse but I will say that the fittings will not work under high stress situations! I work for the US Navy testing aircraft in extremely high stress situations! I have seen fittings like these used by other test crews as spacers and they just dont hold up like something that has been spun out of solid material! Your first clue to not using these is the word CAST! Plus the stock isolator would eventually wear itself out and slip over the CAST fitting and you'll damage the spring(s)! If your looking for a cheap(er) alternative then head over to your local community college machine shop and give some kid a couple bucks and have him spin you a set of proper spacers! Or take the experienced advice from those that frequent this board and cough up the cash for a set of proprely pre-made spacers!

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back