• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

scary coil spacers.

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
im sure a few of you remember a couple years back there were some aluminum coil spacers on Ebay that got posted here and the seller pretty much got shredded for selling parts made from extruded aluminum tube and a few peices of aluminum plate welded to the top. these were designed to mount UNDER the coil spring rather than above it...

well i finally found an XJ with these things mounted.. i did get a chance to see this thing first-hand and i couldnt see anything securing the bottom of the coil to the spacer and the only thing locating it on the bottom is gravity and a small pedestal built on top of the spacer to keep the coil from sliding out sideways.. i dont think the current owner installed them and he's parting out the XJ now but i was suprised to see these things in use..

1191631L.jpg

ive spoken with him through forums and he's told me hes on 11" of lift on stock axles/gearing (d30/d35) with short arms (no DBs) and 37s, and plans, if anything, to go higher and bigger. rustys stuff. apparently 'wheels it' this way and told me it is set up correctly for what he does

made fun of my club for people being too poor and using spacers/"not having the dick to go that big"

i'm on 4.5 and 35s with a tnt y-link....COG > 'dick to go big'

Last edited:
this isnt to bash the dude. so keep that crap to yourself please. i was just pointing out the spacers that i'd only thought were a mythical creature until now.

Well if telling you verbatim what he told me int he last week concerning his setup is bashing, then by all means im guilty.
Wowwww good find, crazy scary spacers ooo ahhhh. happy?

with that said, i was always wondering wtf those were when lookin at the pics.

Last edited:
shi like that makes me embarresed to own a xj. Some idoit around here just bout a XJ on 12" lift (2 2" Spacers each side) and 39 iroks. Dana 30/35. AHHH

that picture looks like its form the east coast......

see you can get away with a d30/35 combo and 37s cause theres no real wheeling there :D

There is real wheeling here.

I know a couple wrangler guys who run 35's/36's on D35's with ARB's. I know a few of them are super 35 kits. One guy who had A super35, ARB on 37's ended up snapping a shaft because of a defect in the shaft, and another guy on 36's ended up snapping his stock shaft. The other guys have done it just fine for a while now.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
that picture looks like its form the east coast......

see you can get away with a d30/35 combo and 37s cause theres no real wheeling there :D
you don't have to wheel a 35 to kill it, mine did uwharrie/flatnasty/the badlands, and ended up chucking teeth on the ring gear on the street, with my 31" road tires.
sucks when you're driving home from work and it sounds like a brick got tossed in your diff.

I was just wondering how long I had before I "have to" do an axle swap/upgrade. Worries me that you chunked one on 31s since that's what I'm on, now. <shrug> "I'll get around to it."

IXNAYXJ said:
Now.

-----Matt-----
IXNAY don't you mean ASAP? Everyone needs a stronger axle but have to change it as soon as they can unless you have bricks in the diff. D30/D35 is the weak point in the XJ and everyone will agree on that. Everyone wants something stronger but the choices are limited, read CRASHs writeup and learn as I did. CRASH is THE MAN, knows his s**t about this subject.

I am curious as to what club the guy was talking about. Got a link to this club?

HeavyMetal said:
made fun of my club for people being too poor and using spacers/"not having ...snipped here...

Teellandor said:
I was just wondering how long I had before I "have to" do an axle swap/upgrade. Worries me that you chunked one on 31s since that's what I'm on, now. <shrug> "I'll get around to it."
here's the story on my d35.

That one had seen a pretty hard life. It had a full carrier detroit in it. I wheeled it hard, and was surprised I never broke it on the trail, I was really waiting for it one day.
Driving home from work, 20 mph, in second gear maintaining speed. Heard a noise, then it felt like someone was banging on the transmission mount with a hammer.
got it home and knew what had happened before I too the diff cover off, dents from the inside on the cover.
3 teeth sheared off the ring gear. Wasn't doing a burnout, wasn't beating on it.
If you need spare shafts I've got 3 full sets though.
I just thought it was funny that I wheeled the snot out of it with 34" tsls, and my 31" road tires killed it on the street.

87manche said:
here's the story on my d35.

That one had seen a pretty hard life. It had a full carrier detroit in it. I wheeled it hard, and was surprised I never broke it on the trail, I was really waiting for it one day.
Driving home from work, 20 mph, in second gear maintaining speed. Heard a noise, then it felt like someone was banging on the transmission mount with a hammer.
got it home and knew what had happened before I too the diff cover off, dents from the inside on the cover.
3 teeth sheared off the ring gear. Wasn't doing a burnout, wasn't beating on it.
If you need spare shafts I've got 3 full sets though.
I just thought it was funny that I wheeled the snot out of it with 34" tsls, and my 31" road tires killed it on the street.

you did the damage with the 34's it just never showed up till later. pretty common actually.

mikeforte said:
IXNAY don't you mean ASAP? Everyone needs a stronger axle but have to change it as soon as they can unless you have bricks in the diff. D30/D35 is the weak point in the XJ and everyone will agree on that. Everyone wants something stronger but the choices are limited, read CRASHs writeup and learn as I did. CRASH is THE MAN, knows his s**t about this subject.

I have read that writup. Sounded expensive. That's why I'll get around to it eventually. But like I always say: "Procastinators are the leaders of tomorow."

Last edited:
Back